Chassis Spacer width 00 gauge

Self explanatory really but I can't find an answer. I have started to assemble my Gibson 01 frames and thought the supplied 00 gauge spacers looked wide.Using a digital caliper they measure 12.4mm.

Yes I found out the hard way soldered on two spacers, tried the opposite frame side, slide the 00 axles in and guess the rest (Markits1/8")

I have a Wills chassis kit with two sets of frame spacers and the narrowest (I presume the 00 spacers) measure10.8mm on the calipers

Thanks-Simon

Simon,

I expect you will get half a dozen different suggested measurements for what folk find works for them, but really you have all the information in front of you to work out the answer. You haven't told us the actual thickness of the frame material, or how much sideplay you need on the axles, so we can't give you a precise answer. The critical dimension is not the width of the spacers but the overall width of the frames. This is the sum of the spacer width, the frame thickness and the distance the bearings protrude beyond the frames.

Assemble a pair of wheels on an axle and measure the distance between their centres. The wheels usually have a small boss at the inside centre, so this measurement is a little less than the normal back-to-back measurement. This dimension is the absolute maximum overall width of the frames, including the bearings, but you'll need to subtract enough to allow any side play that will be needed to get around your curves.

Nick

You can work it all out; or for an all flanged six coupled with a coupled wheelbase in the 16 - 17 ft range, to go round a 24" minimum radius in OO, make up the chassis no more than 12mm wide over the bearing flanges. Before getting practical experience I built chassis kits with the parts supplied. Now I builds 'em to work on a practical model railway..

The trouble with Gibson bits is that they're designed to work with their own wheels, which don't have a boss on the inner face, & therefore have between 1-2mm extra sideways clearance. (The gauge being set by the axle length on the outer face of the wheel) Romfords, on the other hand, are set by the shoulders on the axles meeting the inner faces. I designed one of my products to take Gibson wheels, & when I changed over to Romfords, had to machine reliefs into the bearing positions of every chassis block..

I have done some measurements this morning

a) frames .9mm

b)spacers 12.4mm

c)bearing flanges 0.3mm x 2

Total of 14.8mm across frames inc axle bearings

Curiosity got me so I have done the same measurements against an old Perserverence chassis

a)frames.6mm

b)frame spacer 10.2mm

c)bearing flanges 0.3mm x 2

Total 11.4mm

I have checked against a set of assembled Romfords back to back 14..46mm

my back to back gauge 14.52mm

Either way the Gibson spacers seem very tight to say the least I have never modelled in any of the finescales so am not aware of measurements used therein

14.8 seems like an EM width to me. This would allow about 1mm play either way with Gibson wheels.

00 frames tend to be around 1/2" across, but the actual spacing required depends on how much free play is necessary I usually aim for about 1mm on the centre axle(s)

• RMweb Premium

In the days before etched kits chassis were made of 1/16th inch brass held apart with 3/8th inch turned frame spacers (originally used electronics industry) making a chassis width of 1/2 inch (12.7mm). Using bearings in 1/16 was a luxury and they were hard to get hold of so it was normal to pack your axles with Peco fibre washers to reduce the sideplay.

When etched chassis became the norm a number of manufacturers seemed to lose this basic dimension. The need for the washers was reduced by the flanges on the 1/8th bearings on a 1/2" wide chassis.

Hope this makes sense.

Roger

It all makes pefect sense upon reading the replies.

Me NOt taking into account FRAME thicknes automatically assumed all 00 frame spacers would be a standard width.

Plus only ever having used romfords (apart from a foray years ago with a K's atlantic least said the better)

As usual I get the answers here.thanks Guys

Archived