Current WTT's (Working Timetables)

Does anyone have any idea how these index codes work? i.e. what is the significance of the various CA, YA codes on the folders and is there any rhyme and reason as to how they match to a certain geographical area in the country? Otherwise there's a lot of random clicking and hoping to be done to find the timetable you're after!

Cheers,

Arp

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone have any idea how these index codes work? i.e. what is the significance of the various CA, YA codes on the folders and is there any rhyme and reason as to how they match to a certain geographical area in the country? Otherwise there's a lot of random clicking and hoping to be done to find the timetable you're after!

Cheers,

Arp

The first letter is the initial letter of the location of the relevant BR timetable planning and production office - as they were immediately prior to 1985. The second letter is a particular geographic area within the total area covered by that office. How those offices organised the second letter was entirely down to them however some of them didn't fit in the original coding in the way they are now shown as, for example, when Trainload Freight didn't its own timetabling we used a different system and our books covered different areas from what is in use in these codes.

• RMweb Gold

Ah, I see. Thanks for that information! I don't suppose there's a handy list of BR timetable planning and production offices anywhere is there?!

Arp

The only one I know of is in the Train Planning Manual issued c.1990 but they are fairly easy to work out if you know BR's organisation and Regions.

So having scanned the directory, I'm guessing:

C's might be Crewe - i.e. LM region?

G is Glasgow - Scottish region?

L is Liverpool Street - Eastern

P is Paddington - Western

W is Waterloo - Southern

Y is York - North Eastern? ECML?

In addition, there are maps in some of the documents.

It would appear, for example, that YA is the ECML and Hertford loops, YD is the Northern local services on the Newcastle-Carlisle, the Durham Coast line, Bishop Auckland etc, YH appears to be freight and departmental services only. It looks like a hell of a job to piece all of these separate documents together!

Arp

Archived