Triang clockwork repair needed

21C123

• RMweb Premium

Hi

I have 2 Triang clockwork 0-4-0 diesel shunters, I am not sure what they are officaily called but my first one was given to me in 1968, in a New Zealand built set.

I recently bought a second one and my 4 year old son likes to see them travel round the layout, he knows they are Daddys special trains and that he isn't allowed to wind them up.

Unfortunately tonight while winding the second one up the spring went "Crack" and presumably broke at the shaft end as the shaft just turns round now.

Does anyone know if replacement springs are available ? And how do you get the mechanism apart ?

Thanks

Roger

This was a cheap mechanism, and is held together by tabs in slots. As far as I know, spare springs were not listed, the entire mechanism would be swapped..

The same mechanism was also used in the "Top Tank" steam locos (Which came in various colours.) This is the one with the rectangular tank where the dome should be.

Some had coupling rods, but the wheels are a push fit on the axles, so can be changed if required. The mechanism should be a straight swap with the North British type diesel shunter.

I think the same basic mechanism was also used in the "continental" type tank locomotives, which were made for a long time.

It is possible that this mechanism was also used in the Thomas the tank engine and Percy 4 wheel locomotives, with or without flanged wheels.

Either could fit, or render a spare spring?

***Be careful with clockwork springs. Sharp edges under tension!***

Edited by Sarahagain

If it has snapped near the end, it might be possible to bend the spring to reattach it. i have done this with a Hornby 0 gauge loco, but as it was broken in the middle, the repair was not very successful. Care is necessary as the metal is brittle and sharp.

Being cheap locos, I doubt that spares were ever obtainable - a chassis would cost nearly as much as the complete loco.

Clock parts might be a source of a new spring.

Edited by Il Grifone

• 7 years later...

The end of the spring braking off is common in clockwork mechanisms like these and clocks.

The spring has to be extracted and a new loop or hook made. It is spring steel so the end to be worked on has to be annealed first so it is flexible. That is the metal end is heated to cherry red and allowed to cool. Then then a hook or loop attachment can then be formed. Only a little bit of the length of the spring strip is lost.

Is there a collector and repairer of vintage Hornby clockwork models here who can advise ?

I've done a couple of Hornby 0 gauge locomotives.

The spring needs to be unwound - take care it can bite! and annealed as above. Then it needs to be rewound into the motor - again taking care.

They usually break near the key shaft and this has very little effect on the performance. One of mine was broken in the middle and obviously, while the repair was successful, the length of run was shortened.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&sxsrf=ALeKk01ZmPKRVhQy3l7XfCDYuEvSqaOq3g%3A1591886011996&ei=u0DiXtOvPIzUUbv7vdgL&q=clockwork+motor+repair&oq=clockwork+motor+repair&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQDDIGCAAQFhAeMgYIABAWEB4yBggAEBYQHjoECCMQJ1DejgJY_KICYLPDAmgAcAB4AIABhgOIAckKkgEHMC41LjEuMZgBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXo&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwiT-ZHC_fnpAhUMahQKHbt9D7sQ4dUDCAs