Expantion joint for continous welded rails

A couple of photo`s of an expantion joint for continous welded rails we have at The Kingdom of Fife Railway Preservation Society at Leven, which may be of interest, cant say i`ve seen one modelled.

post-11150-0-55699000-1343157308_thumb.jpg

two lenths of bullhead rail are spiked over four sleepers ( presumably to prevent them from moving )

post-11150-0-80452100-1343157522_thumb.jpg

an end view

post-11150-0-38145400-1343157577_thumb.jpg

perhaps someone with more p/way experience than me would care to add to this post

A couple of photo`s of an expantion joint for continous welded rails we have at The Kingdom of Fife Railway Preservation Society at Leven, which may be of interest, cant say i`ve seen one modelled.

Presumably you haven't come across the Peco part SL-44? These have been available for many years now.

• RMweb Premium

If you haven't seen one modelled take a look at my layout topic. There used to be four. I'm now down to two but they perform an admirable job doing exactly what they are supposed to - allowing rails to expand against each other in the heat without breaking. Why only two now? Because the other pair were not in fact needed where they were fitted and have been replaced with plain track. Peco SL-44 as Gordon mentioned above.

Archived