help finding a prototype

z7o

Over the years ive been accumulating a few models with no real layout to run them on, so ive recently decided to take the plunge. I do however wish to model based on a prototype, the problem being im not sure if there is a time and place in which all of my stock could prototypicly be run. The most obvious solution was to ask the charming people of rmweb and see if any of you could help. And so here is a list of my engines.

4656 pannier tank, br black late crest

class 46 D186, br blue

class 24 D5085, br 2 tone green

8f 48750, br black late crest (changed from early crest)

hymek D7001, br blue (unpowered dummy)

if anybody could help with a time and place in which these classes in these liverys could possibly be found together i would be very grateful, thanks in advance.

Give it time, even from rmweb it's a bit much to expect an answer in an hour! And you might get more if you titled your query something like "Prototype where these locos would be seen together" (you can change it by editing your original post).

In my own probably rather worthless opinion, you could be looking at the Bristol-Cheltenham area but may need to bend time a bit. The Pannier and the Hymek were native to the Western. The Peaks were the usual motive power for trains from the Midlands into the West Country in the 70s and probably earlier too, and I don't know much about the 24 but I think they were Midlands-based too. However BR Blue didn't come in until the mid-60s by which time the Western was pretty much dieselised.

No doubt others will be along to shoot this down in flames...

Perhaps they're at work or not logged on 24-hours per day, even onto RMWeb. You presumably know that blue diesels never ran alongside ex-GW steam. I don't know about the infividual locos, but you could maybe find examples of the other four types in those liveries alongside each other in 1967 or 1968 somewhere in the west midlands or the north west although the Hymek is probably stretching things.

Bill

My immediate response was Worcester, I am not sure about the GW steam being gone before that awful blue. Thinking laterally though, a number of ex-GW panniers were sold out of service to the Coal Board. I don't know what numbers, or even what classes ( although there were some 15xx's), or if any were sold to other private users. However, put in a transfer siding and the pannier could swap wagons with any of t'others.

Just a suggestion.

Ed

Cambridge, c1964-65, but with different loco numbers.

Class 24 was allocated to East Anglia from new, moving away by c1964

Class 46 worked ECML expresses from KGX, often appearing on diverted trains through Cambridge.

8F 2-8-0 worked in from Bletchley on freight until steam went from Bletchley.

D7060 worked a Weymouth FC special into Cambridge via Oxford & Bletchley.

A number of scrap steam locos, I think including 0-6-0PT, were hauled dead from Oxford to Norwich , usually laying over at Cambridge fr a day or two.

Pictures of some of these in my gallery. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/2255-old-bw-photos/

An unlikely, and unusual combination for Cambridge though, hardly typical of our normal class 31 and 105 types!

Stewart

Or run to a sequence such that you start by using the oldest stock and gradually bring on the later stock in such a way that you avoid period anomolies. I don't think that the infrastructure would have changed too much over the period you have in mind.

Or just ignore it and have fun!

Ed

Oxford would be a good spot to base a layout on.... the loco shed didn't close to steam until around January '66, but that's still a touch early for blue liveried Hymeks and Peaks. The first blue repaints for these would have been towards the end of that year. An idea worth thinking about is buying some green liveried bodies for the Hymek and Peak, and selling your blue one's to recoup some or all of the cost.

24s and Peaks occasionally came down to Oxford with Midland Region crews, as did 8Fs, although the WR had some of their own at one point. Other non WR locos which sometimes worked the route in the 1960s were 20s, 33s and 40s.

Welcome to the forum ;)

seems like your problem is the western region loco's. I could be wrong here (anybody verify this one for me) but other than the pannier it should be possible to run them all together with some re-numbering, perhaps you could go for 67/68 end of steam and use the pannier as an industrial loco, i believe some ended up working into the 70's like this. Im sure there are more knowledgeable people here that can help more than me.

Archived