Cladding on the BR Standards fireboxes

Mike G

I am engaged, at present, in some research for my own purposes on the BR Britannia class firebox. I have been able to get hold of copies of two of the GA drawings for the class that give an indication of the thickness of the cladding surrounding the firebox. The question I have is is it normal for the cladding on top of the firebox to be half the thickness of the sides, was this a usual practice, or have I messed up my maths in the conversion? - this would not be the first time!

BTW if anyone knows the drawing number that gives dimensions of the firebox in its clad state, I'd appreciate knowing that number, my eyes are so sore from scouring the lists on the NRM site!!

Any advice or help greatly appreciated

Mike

• 1 month later...

I am engaged, at present, in some research for my own purposes on the BR Britannia class firebox. I have been able to get hold of copies of two of the GA drawings for the class that give an indication of the thickness of the cladding surrounding the firebox. The question I have is is it normal for the cladding on top of the firebox to be half the thickness of the sides, was this a usual practice, or have I messed up my maths in the conversion? - this would not be the first time!

BTW if anyone knows the drawing number that gives dimensions of the firebox in its clad state, I'd appreciate knowing that number, my eyes are so sore from scouring the lists on the NRM site!!

Any advice or help greatly appreciated

Mike

I don't know if these pics are of any assistance, but, as far as I know, The Brit's firebox / boiler was, more or less, a clone of the MN's

post-7009-0-15733700-1348165266_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-45933400-1348165745_thumb.jpg

Regards, Frank.

Archived