0-16-5 Double Fairlie

Simon Moore

Looking ahead i am wanting to get a double fairlie in 0-16-5 & i want to know if anyone else besides Wrightlines/ABS does a kit??

I called Wrightlines on Wednesday & he said that the moulds were knackered & needed to be replaced & it isn't going to be something that is going to happen over night.

My layout collection is growning, i now have 3 of the 6 locos i want for the layout & the double Fairlie is the only one that i cannot seem to find.

Do i have any other options besides the Wrightlines model ???

Simon.

• RMweb Premium

EDM Models are in the middle of producing this in kit form and as far as I know there will be parts to make more than one variation as they're all different!

Paul has a couple of people working on kit design for him and one has already done the single Fairlie in white metal - this was originally being designed for Wrightlines but when Kay sold the business to ABS, the kit was offered to Paul. It was first available as 'body only' to fit the Wrightlines power bogie but his other kit designer had just started the initial work on the doubles and so he concentrated on a much more accurate power bogie which is now available. This work is being done by the same person who did the Linda, Blanche, Charles kit and Paul was expecting the Double Fairlie to be next but then he sent the South African / Welsh Highland wagons instead! I'm not sure of the expected delivery date for the new 'Doubles' but at various shows I have seen the 'work in progress'

Details can be found here

Linda, Blanche, Charles http://www.ngtrains....hyn/hunslet.htm

Single Fairlie Taliesin http://www.ngtrains....l/Taliesin.html

South African wagons http://www.ngtrains....k/sa_stock.html

Paul is working at the FR for a couple of weeks and so there may be delays in email replies and of course with this being a small business he can't afford to have everything in stock at the same time. As far as I know Linda,Blanche, Charles are on back order, Taliesin is available, and one batch of SA wagons have been despatched but others are held up waiting for further supplies of bogies from a sub-contractor.

I help Paul at shows and our next outings are Midland Railex in August and then Swanley for ExpoNG in October.

Hope that helps

Mike

Thanks for the reply Mike,

I'm glad the single is in stock that's my next purchase & that's great news about the double too. I'm wanting to model the 1870's so hopefully the double will come with the option of an open cab.

Mike would you be able to find out when the double fairlie is planned for.

Cheers,

Simon.

Simon, I think it's best described as "it'll be ready when it's ready" ;) I've purchased one Tal kit myself recently, and although I haven't started yet, if the instructions are anything to go by, building it will take quite some time, if you want to do it right.

I'm having someone build the locos as i am not talented enough & i don't fancy shelling out for a kit to make a mess of it. Does the Taliesen kit have parts for the cut down cab version as i want to model the earlier period of the line i want to make sure everything is correct for it.

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Mike would you be able to find out when the double fairlie is planned for.

Hi Simon

I have sent Paul an email but I don't know when he'll be able to pick that up as he's driving on the FR all week - Lyd for few days, then Taliesin and also one of the Doubles.

He may reply here himself or send me a message to post - if I get anything I'll let you know

Mike

Well looking at some of my reference books Tal was a little different before the cab was enclosed we'll see when what's capable when I get to ordering my kit hopefully it'll cover what I want to recreate.

The good news is that a totally new kit is coming for one which is exciting to say the least & hopefully with them already having a bogie it shouldn't be too much trouble for the body to be produced :)

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Mike, many thanks for holdingt the fort on answers regarding the Fairlies.

As Mike explained I am away for a couple of weeks driving at the FR. After several days on Lyd i have had most of the day off but book on in 20 mins to drive this evenings dining train with Taliesin.

Our forthcoming Fairlie kit is for Merddin Emrys as it is now. It won't be available until sometime next year at the earliest.

This picture is of the first test etch build, already superceded but being used as a mule for the casting development.

post-2660-0-10751700-1343828899_thumb.jpg

To contemplate "backdating" this model to a victorian ere one demonstrates a fundamental lack of knowledge of Fairlie development. The furthest back you could go with this is 1968 (when for most of a season it didnt have a cab as it was pressed into service whilst they were still building it.

The fundamental change at that time was the new boiler which altered the length of the loco by about four feet. It is also much wider at the cab due to the type of firebox fitted.

More explanation later (maybe) but I have to go drive a train now

Paul you swine you,

I need a very big mop now to clean all the throth from off my floor now. That looks super stick me down for one of those it's a beauty & I can live with a new fairlie back dated ( its my layout so it's right ) :D

Beautiful work Paul.

Are you taking pre orders I wouldn't like to miss out on batch one ;)

Simon

Ps I'm seriously gutted your about to drive tali & I'm off to move cheap pop on a forklift :(

• RMweb Gold

Not taking orders yet, will do that when we have a better idea of when. There is still a lot to do.

Sorry to have left you gutted but with that I can't resist gutting you some more.

Below are pictures of, in order, me in my office of Saturday, Sunday and Monday, then my office for the last two evenings (on taken at 21:30 this evening) and Friday its a day on Merddin Emrys

post-2660-0-22308200-1343945794.jpg

post-2660-0-02404900-1343945915_thumb.jpg

post-2660-0-64212100-1343945958_thumb.jpg

post-2660-0-70493500-1343945997_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

He has a good view from his house as well - when in Wales, Paul's official address is No 1 Boston Lodge - that's half of the big white house featured in so many photos of the railway. :O

You can't get much closer to the works than that - unless you sleep in the shed :lol:

The views Paul has from his front windows at No.1 Boston lodge look like this, note the coal smoke drifting across the second one as they light up the loco's, and the lever frame and track leading to the old engine shed at the bottom right of the first one with the old "Cob" toll cottage roof to the left.

post-6862-0-22870200-1343981524_thumb.jpg

post-6862-0-50855100-1343981556_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

The views Paul has from his front windows at No.1 Boston lodge look like this, note the coal smoke drifting across the second one as they light up the loco's, and the lever frame and track leading to the old engine shed at the bottom right of the first one with the old "Cob" toll cottage roof to the left.

Sadly Phil's photo's are what the view should be. Its actually a load of scaffolding at the moment. Its KIDZ WEKE at the railway at the moment so the place has been crawling with the little sods doing an assortment of jobs one of which has been to complete the porch [only taken three years] and to paint the outside of the house with a new coat of white slapdash. Having seen the state of some of them you'd think they hadn't been given brushes as they were white to the elbows! Other traditional pass times for them are doubling the time it takes to clean an engine as they do it then it has to be done properly!

This evening has been their play with the trains night and they have had the 4th Lord, Leary and Lilla to play with up in Minffordd Yard. [4th Lord = Hugh Napier, the 4th Lord Penrhyn]. To facilitae this all the toys were out of the toy box this morningpost-2660-0-23938700-1344027697_thumb.jpgpost-2660-0-90134500-1344027744_thumb.jpgpost-2660-0-18921000-1344027797_thumb.jpg

My chariot for the day has been this one for a couple of storming trips

First trip was a full to bursting 11 cars and Merddin stormed up the hill like they were empties although my fireman was fit to audition for a B&W minstrels show at the end of it

post-2660-0-89855900-1344027874_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold
Very lucky man Paul i would really like to have a go at firing one of the garrett's as at 6ft 8inch tall i doubt i'd actually fit in a fairlie

Definately a headache on an FR engine and maybe so on a Garotte too. That said if you were firing you'd be bent in the middle, head down @rse up!

• 1 month later...

Mike, many thanks for holdingt the fort on answers regarding the Fairlies.

As Mike explained I am away for a couple of weeks driving at the FR. After several days on Lyd i have had most of the day off but book on in 20 mins to drive this evenings dining train with Taliesin.

Our forthcoming Fairlie kit is for Merddin Emrys as it is now. It won't be available until sometime next year at the earliest.

This picture is of the first test etch build, already superceded but being used as a mule for the casting development.

post-2660-0-10751700-1343828899_thumb.jpg

To contemplate "backdating" this model to a victorian ere one demonstrates a fundamental lack of knowledge of Fairlie development. The furthest back you could go with this is 1968 (when for most of a season it didnt have a cab as it was pressed into service whilst they were still building it.

The fundamental change at that time was the new boiler which altered the length of the loco by about four feet. It is also much wider at the cab due to the type of firebox fitted.

More explanation later (maybe) but I have to go drive a train now

You did it - you have to take the full blame, Sir!

Now I have to shelve all my plans until this kit is available. Good bye to all my plans of modeling the W & L - welcome Ffestiniog Railway on a shelf!

I do hope to see this model before summer ....

Archived