LMS Coronation Scot & Coaches

Pullman65

Hi,

I could not find this anywhere, so apologies if it is already covered elsewhere:

Is the 'new' R3092 Coronation Scot Train Pack actually new or just a re-release of R2788 with different loco name 'Coronation' and the OLD carriages, that had recessed windows etc. I would have expected any new release to have updated coaches and finer detail throughout. I can't tell from poor pictures and written details that I've seen so far.

Can anybody shed any light on this matter please?

Here's the set: http://www.Hornby.co...imited-edition/

The coaches are almost certainly the old Margate models. Quite poor compared to modern releases. Sparse and incorrect underframe (in fact it looks like a Mk1), non flush glazing, bogies and bodies significantly shorter than the prototype. The LMS built special coaches for the train - these seem to be the bog standard Period 3s warmed over with the blue livery. I can't tell about the locomotive, but it may be the Chinese produced version. These train packs seem to be a way for Hornby to move their obsolete products.

I'm not aware of Coronation coaches being available in RTR - shame really, maybe next year.

John

Here's the set: http://www.Hornby.co...imited-edition/

The coaches are almost certainly the old Margate models. Quite poor compared to modern releases. Sparse and incorrect underframe (in fact it looks like a Mk1), non flush glazing, bogies and bodies significantly shorter than the prototype. The LMS built special coaches for the train - these seem to be the bog standard Period 3s warmed over with the blue livery. I can't tell about the locomotive, but it may be the Chinese produced version. These train packs seem to be a way for Hornby to move their obsolete products.

I'm not aware of Coronation coaches being available in RTR - shame really, maybe next year.

John

Many thanks, sounds like what I expected was the case.

• 3 months later...

Brossard, you are quite correct that they are the old Margate models and that the corridor vehicle isn't accurate. It's a 60' compo squeezed onto a 57' underframe (which also, as you say, isn't accurate). The 1937 Coronation Scot vehicles were adapted Period 3 stock with ventilation conduits on the roof. However, even if Hornby were to relivery some of their present P3 stock in blue with silver/white stripes, they are still missing several types from the formation, namely (IIRC) a Brake 1st, a kitchen car, a RTO and a RFO. I can't see these ever being produced. Pity really!

Guest stuartp

The loco appears to be the latest loco-drive chassis, the two slots in the pony truck have daylight showing. The first loco drive chassis had these filled in and the top of the frames cut off to clear the underside of the cab. I presume the current one is Hornby's pet fixed flangeless axle.

The coaches are definately the generic 1980s ones. Assuming they've used photos of the actual set in that montage of course...

Hattons currently have it for £165. Using their price for the nearest equivalent loco currently available (£106 for "City of Edinburgh", although thats not a streamliner) makes the coaches about £20 each ! :O

• 2 months later...

Archived