Bachmann BR Std's

Tim Hale

.. A Bachmann tender would be ideal but haven't found one. Renumbered this loco several years ago now, about time I got the right tender. A good loco imho.

Presumably the tender frame was the same?

Yes, the BR1 tender frame was the same to the best of knowledge, certainly in terms of external appearance. The reason for the caveat is that the dome which sits atop the scoop filler is noticeably differently positioned - further forward -  on the BR1F as compared to most other BR1 tender types.

I managed to do a swap of a BR1G for a BR1F, but this was at a time when Bachmann had at least 3 BR1F equipped 9F's current in the range - the BR1F option never having been offered by Hornby - so there were probably a fair number purchased by folks really wanting one of the alternatives. But you never know, worth offering a tender exchange on classifieds?

On the question of BR5 tenders,can anyone say whether there was a visual difference between the BR1,as fitted to 73000-49,and the BR1H,as fitted to 73055-64?  Looking at photos,I can't detect anything that stands out. (According to the data in my ABC,they were identical in terms of their water and coal capacities,and also in their weights).

DR

• RMweb Gold

On the question of BR5 tenders,can anyone say whether there was a visual difference between the BR1,as fitted to 73000-49,and the BR1H,as fitted to 73055-64?  Looking at photos,I can't detect anything that stands out. (According to the data in my ABC,they were identical in terms of their water and coal capacities,and also in their weights).

DR

The only difference between the BR1 and BR1H is the H is fitted with a fall plate and gangway doors. That comes from the actual BR drawings of the tenders, as featured in 'A Pictorial Record of British Railways Standard Steam Locomotives'

Yes, the BR1 tender frame was the same to the best of knowledge, certainly in terms of external appearance. The reason for the caveat is that the dome which sits atop the scoop filler is noticeably differently positioned - further forward -  on the BR1F as compared to most other BR1 tender types.

I managed to do a swap of a BR1G for a BR1F, but this was at a time when Bachmann had at least 3 BR1F equipped 9F's current in the range - the BR1F option never having been offered by Hornby - so there were probably a fair number purchased by folks really wanting one of the alternatives. But you never know, worth offering a tender exchange on classifieds?

Well I've put a classified ad in RMweb offering my tender for a 1F version.  Otherwise I'll see if Alexander models as suggested by 45568 still do the tender kit. Couldn't find a web site for Alexander models but there is an e-mail address. I'll wait and seee if I get any response to ad first.  Also found that Golden Arrow and Comet have done 1F kits as well so there's hope!

Thanks for the heads up on golden arrow models, RFS and 45568. Looks like they do some interesting models including various tenders. However a kind person is going to supply me with a Bachmann 1f tender so I'll now be able to complete the std 5 properly. But golden arrow look like they make a useful range so will take a closer look.

Thanks, Bill

• 3 months later...

I'm toying with the idea of acquiring a Bachmann 32-503 s/h with the intention of renumbering it to one of the Perth "pets" 73005-73009. There are however a couple of issues that I'd appreciate some help with before taking the plunge. The prototype for the model (73030) was one of a couple fitted,briefly,with air-brake equipment - and that's how the model is described. I can't ,however,see any sign of the equipment on photos. of the model,and am hoping that it portrays the loco after the equipment was removed. Can anyone confirm that it is,in fact, a "standard" early series BR5.?  And the model is so long out of production,that I have to wonder whether it is DCC ready? Grateful for any guidance.

DR

I've now got hold of a 32-503 s/h from Rails via E-bay. It came complete with cab glazing and the detail accessory parts already fitted. Pleasantly surprised to find that the front steps and cylinder drain-cocks survived the transit intact. Overall, it strikes me that Bachmann have done a good job in capturing the proportions and distinctive clean lines of the BR5 so well. I can almost hear the sharp exhaust blast!

Having established that she runs smoothly in DC mode,the next step will be the fitting of a decoder. (I have a spare TCS MP1 which should do the trick). After that,the idea is to do an ID change - either to one of 73005-73009 (Perth) or 73055-73064 (Polmadie).  Looking at a number of photographs, these 2 batches had vertical vacuum pipes projecting above the buffer-beam (although,for a while after delivery, some or all of the Perth locos had the pipe in the normal position at the base of the beam). According to Keith Pirt in "Steam Memories No 9" this was to accommodate the fitting of larger snowploughs. So,for my 1957/58-ish period,it looks as if I need to replace the vac. pipe as fitted - this in addition to removing the speedo cable.

I'm reasonably sure that 73005-73009 would have had red-backed smoke-box numberplates during that period. But what about the Polmadie locos? I have a recollection that,at about that same time,66A dabbled with light-blue backgrounds. This appeared on their Coronations and Scots. But I cannot recollect seeing it on their BR5s. I would be gratetful for any pointers (to photographs especially) as to whether it was applied to any of their BR5s.

DR

I'm reasonably sure that 73005-73009 would have had red-backed smoke-box numberplates during that period. But what about the Polmadie locos? I have a recollection that,at about that same time,66A dabbled with light-blue backgrounds. This appeared on their Coronations and Scots. But I cannot recollect seeing it on their BR5s. I would be gratetful for any pointers (to photographs especially) as to whether it was applied to any of their BR5s.

I certainly don't remember any blue backing on Polmadie standard 5 smokebox plates from 1962 onwards. They were all black/dirt. I wasn't paying attention before that.

About Perth engines - I have the smokebox plate off a long-time Perth Stanier 5. I scraped and repainted the front. Below the latest black paint were traces of an earlier coat of light blue.

I certainly don't remember any blue backing on Polmadie standard 5 smokebox plates from 1962 onwards. They were all black/dirt. I wasn't paying attention before that.

About Perth engines - I have the smokebox plate off a long-time Perth Stanier 5. I scraped and repainted the front. Below the latest black paint were traces of an earlier coat of light blue.

Thanks pH for taking an interest. The "black/dirt" condition you remember would have been symptomatic of the widespread steam malaise that had set in by then. Depots had, I suppose, lost interest in embellishments of that sort.

This perhaps isn't the best area of the forum for a discussion about this,but the MPDs that went in for coloured numberplate backings (they tended to be ex-LMS sheds) didn't do so on a sustained basis. They might do it for a while and even then might not extend the fashion to all the locos on their allocation. So it was a bit hit and miss. That said,in the mid-to-late 50s,many Perth locos did carry red,so the evidence of blue on your example is really interesting.

In the absence of any evidence to the contrary,it looks as if I would be safest sticking to plain old black for my BR5. I've ordered a plate for 73061,a long-term resident of 66A (except,that is, for a couple of years when she was at Motherwell....another shed with a weakness for red backings!).

DR

DR

Archived