Logs Carried In OCA's - Just a one off...?

JohnH

Before the OTAs were converted (which was about 1985, I think), there were no air-braked timber wagons purpose-built for timber; such timber that was moved by rail either went on air-piped bolsters (BSW) or in OBAs or OCAs. Amongst the flows at this time was one from Scotland to Welshpool. Once the OTAs were introduced, they took over the traffic, though the large amount of short-term timber flows after the 1987 'hurricane' saw the air-braked opens being pressed into service again.

Thanks for that Brian.

I've taken (and seen published)many photo's of OBA's on timber traffic, including the flow to Welshpool, but Ernies photo is the only one I've seen of OCA's being used for timber - are there any others out there?

I've been looking on the excellent 'Ernies Railway Archive' site and noticed this photo of two OCA's loaded with round timber at Arrochar, probably in the mid 1980's

http://www.flickr.co...157626645865977

I now know the date I took this - 23 September 1985

regards

Ernie

Thanks for that Brian.

I've taken (and seen published)many photo's of OBA's on timber traffic, including the flow to Welshpool, but Ernies photo is the only one I've seen of OCA's being used for timber - are there any others out there?

Hi Guys

Slightly OT but when did OBA's start being used on the timber traffic? I am guessing it was when the timber P's were withdrawn but don't know that date either!

Regards

Mike

I now know the date I took this - 23 September 1985

regards

Ernie

Thanks for the information Ernie and thanks for posting your excellent photos on the web. Have you got any other pictures of OCA's on round timber traffic?

Hi Guys

Slightly OT but when did OBA's start being used on the timber traffic? I am guessing it was when the timber P's were withdrawn but don't know that date either!

Regards

Mike

Not sure of exact dates Mike, but I've got some pictures of Maroon liveried OBA's loaded with round timber at Fort William in 1981 and at Aviemore in 1982. They may well have been in use on this traffic before then.

Thanks for the information Ernie and thanks for posting your excellent photos on the web. Have you got any other pictures of OCA's on round timber traffic?

I havn't located any other photos of loaded OCA's, however on the same trip there was an OCA in the middle of a rake of OBA's in Crianlarich Upper yard and the OBA first in line and next to the OCA had been loaded with round logs. Other empty OCA's were noted in a train with OBA's at Tyndrum Upper. I have been scanning the Scottish negs and have been attempting to get them in to some kind of trip order. I will probably try to upload some as a 'trip' collection in the next few days. This will result in some duplication as a fair number are already uploaded to Flickr, however it will give viewers a 'timeshot' overview rather than the location arrangement already uploaded.

regards Ernie

Thanks for that Ernie. The plot thickens...

I've seen many an OCA around that time involved in Aluminium billet traffic from Fort William, but you having seen one parked at Crianlarich would suggest that they were also in use on round timber traffic - unless it may have been red carded or simply dropped off an overloaded Fort William bound freight.

Thanks again for your help and I'm looking forward to more of your excellent photos!

Archived