SE&CR

• RMweb Premium

Hi

I am adapting some 4 wheel coaches to go with my forthcoming Wainright C class in SE&CR colours, they are not strictly correct but suit my purpose. I have located the SE&CR green but I am not sure whether to use yellow or gold lining on the coaches. I note on some photos that the lining is in two colours on the loco but I intend to use either yellow or gold on the coaches. I will also have a crimson SE&CR coach. Would appreciate any guidance on the lining, I will probably use HMRS transfers unless anyone can recommend any others.

Thanks in anticipation.

According to SE&CR Coaches by Phil Coutache. The Crimson Lake livery came in 1901 and until 1903 was lined in gold. Yellow lining was reportedly used for thirds thereafter, with gold lining continuing on Firsts, Seconds & probably compos. The shade of crimson lake reportedly lightened c1910 (I am always very nervous of this sort of claim, given the impact of weathering and and teh rather unstable paints of those days). The umber painted carriages started appearing in 1916.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks gentlemen, It is a very bright and colourful livery, shame a few modern operators did not use more colourful liveries rather than the bland corporate rubbish seen on many trains these days. The loco is so beautifully proportioned, a stunner by anyones reckoning

Archived