Jinty and 4F in Scotland

Matador

Yes, both classes did. (And members of both classes were built there, too.)

I feel there may be follow-up questions - yes? :biggrin_mini2:

Yes, what areas mainly, this is to be a small O Gauge 12' x 2' 6" with 4' Fiddle yard.

David

A Brit in the USA

In this, I’m not including Carlisle Kingmoor as a ‘Scottish’ shed, but it had members of both classes allocated into the 1960s. Both classes were quite widespread in Scotland, but there were never many of either class at any one shed.

From BRILL October 2008 - in LMS days, Jinties were at least at the following sheds:

Corkerhill

Stirling

Perth (North)

Dundee West

Forres

Inverness

Dawsholm

Hurlford

Polmadie

By 1950, there were only 7 left in Scotland, at Polmadie and Corkerhill. After that, the remaining ones moved around a bit with some being shedded at Polmadie, Corkerhill, Motherwell, Hamilton, Greenock and Inverness at different times. The last Scottish one was 47536, withdrawn from Motherwell in 1962.

From the BR Locoshed allocation book for 1955, there were less than 40 4Fs shedded in Scotland at that time. Sheds with an allocation of the class included:

St. Rollox

Motherwell

Stirling

Corkerhill

Hurlford

Perth (South)

Polmadie

Dumfries

Forfar

Grangemouth

Ayr

A few did move around after that – for example 44255 was withdrawn from Fort William – but overall the allocations would not have changed much before withdrawal.

Did Jinties and 4F,s run in Scotland (excuse my ignorance)

David

A Brit in the USA

As quoted by PH, my local shed Hamilton 66C had 4F 44196 and Jinty 47331 for a time in the late fifties, they weren't called Jinties in Scotland though, usually all shunting tanks were called Pugs or so some auld drivers have told me. The 4Fs in Scotland kept their original fittings much longer, the lipped chimney and the valve tailrod covers. The tailrods were removed in the 30s like the English ones but the covers were refitted, some photos even show them upside down. Many Scottish 4Fs still had them on withdrawal. I can quote you some numbers if you wish.

All the best,

Dave Franks.

As quoted by PH, my local shed Hamilton 66C had 4F 44196 and Jinty 47331 for a time in the late fifties, they weren't called Jinties in Scotland though, usually all shunting tanks were called Pugs or so some auld drivers have told me. The 4Fs in Scotland kept their original fittings much longer, the lipped chimney and the valve tailrod covers. The tailrods were removed in the 30s like the English ones but the covers were refitted, some photos even show them upside down. Many Scottish 4Fs still had them on withdrawal. I can quote you some numbers if you wish.

All the best,

Dave Franks.

I started the Scottish layout project in 0 gauge about a year ago and ended up walking away from it. I bought a lot of Books (now sitting on a shelf gathering dust) but ended up frustrated due to my severe lack of knowledge of the different Railway Companies and what was available. Due to a retirement budget I had decided on a O Gauge 12' x 2' 6" with 4' Fiddle yard.branch line that had been closed to passenger traffic (cant afford coaches) a couple of locos and a selection of goods wagons should provide a lot of good modelling and relaxation. I have been a Pro Modeller and Custom painter for the past 40 years so am quite adept at building models (mainly US). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated I thought the aforementioned locos would be easier than Railway specific (hope that makes sence)

David

Aa Brit in the USA

• If you have seen the article on Napier Street in the Gauge O gazette ignore me, but if not I can send you a copy - email me at schultzwright@yahoo.com and i'll post a copy i'm getting rid of.

Jinties are mentioned in David L Smith's Legends of G&SWR in LMS days - they did not go down well in comparison with Mansons and Drummonds shunters. 4Fs were not as common in Scotland as they were in England, as there were still a number of pre-grouping 060 tender locos, but it's a good way to get started and they were used in Ayrshire - see Bradford Barton - The last years of Steam in Scotland.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I can add a little here, as Hurlford had a couple of 4Fs and they always used 44325 on the Barassie Works service which ran passenger from Barassie to Kilmarnock, then ECS onto the Darvel branch, where the stock was stabled overnight, when the loco ran back light to Hurlford. There were other 4Fs at Hurlford, and there are photos of these in service in some of the late Derek Cross's books.

Fort William also boasted a 4F. 44255 appears in a 1959 list. Not sure how long it was there.

See current edition of 'Railway Bylines' - 44255 appears to have been the snowplough loco and survived at the Fort until the end of steam in July 1962, after four and a half years spent in the West Highlands.

Bill

• RMweb Gold

All the best,

Dave Franks.

I started the Scottish layout project in 0 gauge about a year ago and ended up walking away from it. I bought a lot of Books (now sitting on a shelf gathering dust) but ended up frustrated due to my severe lack of knowledge of the different Railway Companies and what was available. Due to a retirement budget I had decided on a O Gauge 12' x 2' 6" with 4' Fiddle yard.branch line that had been closed to passenger traffic (cant afford coaches) a couple of locos and a selection of goods wagons should provide a lot of good modelling and relaxation. I have been a Pro Modeller and Custom painter for the past 40 years so am quite adept at building models (mainly US). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated I thought the aforementioned locos would be easier than Railway specific (hope that makes sence)

David

Aa Brit in the USA

David,

There are some quite cheap LMS Period 3 coaches available from a US manufacturer (senior moment means I have forgotten the name). Limited range at the moment but more types promised.

Moffat (with some artistic reduction) might serve your purpose.

• 1 month later...

Sorry a bit late in adding this (only just came across the thread) - here's a very useful site which will gives shed locations in 1948 and final location when withdrawn... http://www.railuk.in...team_search.php

Try Class [4F-C] and Last Shed [63A] and you'll get the 4F's that ended thier days in Perth. If you leave the shed blank you'll get all the 4F's and work your way through the shed codes beginning 6.

Here's 44253 @ Perth, I don't have Copyright so please only use for reference.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bradtord Barton's Scottish Branch Line Steam has a superb shot of Jinty 47329 shunting the Glennifer minedral depot in May 1958. this branch was one of a complex network built between Paisley and Barrhead which never opened to passenger traffic due to competition from the tram network.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

The 4Fs in Scotland kept their original fittings much longer, the lipped chimney and the valve tailrod covers. The tailrods were removed in the 30s like the English ones but the covers were refitted, some photos even show them upside down. Many Scottish 4Fs still had them on withdrawal. I can quote you some numbers if you wish.

All the best,

Dave Franks.

Hi Dave,

Numbers please for 4F locos in Scotland with tailrod covers still in place on withdrawal? Withdrawal dates as well if possible!

Particularly Ayrshire locos.....

Thanks

Archived