FGE return loads south from New York

clark33

I’m using FGE mechanical reefers to transport chilled produce and frozen citrus juice to New York from Florida. As I write up my car card routing way-bills I’m wondering what a return load might be. Empty or USPS mail-bags or magazines?

The ‘what-if’ I’m creating is a series of H0 (DCC) modules showing a late 1960s SAL with running rights on the FEC on a non-destroyed FEC overseas extension to Key West. Reefers are loaded in Havana with chilled produce and frozen citrus juice for New York house-wives’ breakfast tables. The 1600+ mile journey starts on the Havana-Key West train ferry. The Kennedy era Cuban trade embargo has slipped a decade. The destination is a cold storage warehouse on a rail-marine terminal I’m calling Havana Transfer.

Phil Clark, Catarman, Philippines

I haven't a clue what a Railroad backload might be, especially for some years back, but here in the UK currently, based on the Company I work for, Truck Reefers are most likely to be used transporting other, ambient foodstuffs when they're not carrying chilled or frozen produce - partly because food contracts tend to 'overlap' quite neatly, and partly because of food hygiene standards - they're not going to put in the reefer anything likely to contaminate foods or that will need down-time to clean the trailer out more than needs must....

I've been watching the replies to your question on "Reefer-Madness" with interest...! Although I wouldn't doubt any of them, it is your layout and in theory could accept any viable commodity as a back-haul. One to consider might be Hershey Chocolate wrapping materials, as this company had a strong presence in Cuba.

Archived