GWR Morriston Branch

pmorgan_cym

I've found myself becoming interested in the Morriston branch as a potential modelling project, from one picture it lookslike the section between Landore/Low level and plasmarl could be an interesting shelf layout, single track, canal, corssed over by a main line. The trouble is other than 2 or 3 pics, one is mainly of the canal I can;t find any info about the branch, what was the main traffic? Rolling Stock? Industries/Yards served?

I can't seem to find much in the way of books that cover the area either.

Can anyone out there give me some pointers?

Cheers

• RMweb Premium

I have a 1928 LMS 'Rating map' that covers the area. It is based on the 25" OS map and does include the GWR branch. IIRC most lines in the area served the several tinplate works. Regrettably my map is in an extremely fragile condition and cannot be scanned but if I can open it without damage I might be able to give you some information.

Could you take a digital photo of it instead? I can remember many years ago I was copying data from old books in the Met Office archive by digital camera (1000 pages a day!). Obviously it's better if you can use a copy stand but if you're only taking one picture you can have seval attempts to eliminate any shake if need be!

It didn't seem to have as many sidings serving different works as the (more-or-less) parallel ex-Midland line did, which is probably why it didn't last as long. Normal motive power seems to have been 57xx panniers. Where it did score over the Midland route was that it could, and did, serve as a diversionary route for the Swansea- Neath main line during engineering works- I have seen photos of express locos (Castles, I think) hauling diverted trains at weekends as late as the mid-1960s. My paternal grandmother was born in one of the cottages next to the viaduct where the line went under the District line; it was said of some of her ancestors that 'one built all the pubs in Morriston, the other all the chapels'

The scrapyards (one of which scrapped a Blue Pullman and a North British Class 21), were on the Midland line- I worked next to one of them, at Landore Foundry, during my summer vacation in 1974.

I played on Morriston West Station as a kid, during the eighties, me and my mates had hours of fun there. The platforms were still their til at least 1988. The council finally turned it into a car park as the place was being used as a unofficial dump!! The Station Masters house is still there, so to is the old ticket office.

See if you can get a copy of The Red Dragon.. and other old friends, published by LDR Publications. This is one of the best books of Post War Western and LM steam about. Their are a couple of shots of the branch line. None, however of the station. The Morriston Branch was one which was sadly, rarely photographed.

The Old-maps will be a good bet. Plus their is the Morriston historical website as well.

Hope this helps.

Simon

Interestingly the line was also regularly used by express locos (Castles/Counties) working light engine between Landore and Felin Fran. Enigine Changes took place on certain services at Felin Fran, perhaps most notably the 3.50pm Whitland to Kensington Milk service. There's a nice couple of pictures in 'Steam in South Wales Volume 6' by Michael Hale of a Camarthen Castle handing over to a Swindon County at Fein Fran in 1960. Both locos would have used the Morriston branch to get to and from Landore.

There are a few pictures of stations on the line, including Morriston West, in 'Steam in South Wales Volume 2' by Michael Hales.

• RMweb Premium

Regrettably I don't have a digital camera. Also the condition of the map is such that even unfolding it runs the risk of doing more damage, I tried to unfold it this morning, and it appeared to crack along the folds so I would not want to risk damaging it further.

Thanks for the info, I've seen a few track plans on line from one of the signaling societies websites, which are great for a general idea of layouts but not of the context, I can see 5 sidings but I have no idea what they're for!. The few pics I've seen reinforce what you guys have said, one is a Castle on a diverted Paddington service. The other is taken from the Landore viaduct looking down on a Swansea bound pannier with 4 or 5 16ton mineral wagons, possibly domestic coal empties from a local goods yard?

Might just fit my bill for shelf layout, single track running line, a little inglenock style goods yards, coupled with the excuse to run pretty much run anything through on a diverted service!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, I don't usually frequent this forum but came across it by accident. I can help you out with some stuff for this line. I have been modelling it for both railworks and Trainz Pc simulators. I have detailed track layouts, photos etc. I'm a Swansea boy and have local knowledge too. You're quite welcome to anything. If you're interested let me know. ;)

John

You need to try and get hold of Tony Cooke's Track Layout Diagrams, GWR & BR (WR) Section 55 - Swansea (GWR). Sadly out of print at the moment, but details are here http://www.lightmoor.co.uk/ (bottom of the 'Railways' section)

I have details of all the private sidings (and mileages for the infrastructure features) and if you want these send me a PM

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

Archived