Stoney Cross

binesrail

Right then, this is my first post on the NEW RMweb so lets get started.

My new layout is called Stoney Cross it is baced in North Devon in the mid 1960's when BR Blue diesels were taking over steam. The layout is L shaped and is 5'6" long and 2'3" at its widest point. The wiring is as simple as it can get with only two wires to run the whole layout and there are no point motors because i wanted to make a layout for as cheap as posible using left over parts from my other layouts. With a run round and two sidings the running and shunting on the layout is limited but can provide hours of fun for the operator and is also interesting for the general public at an exhibition.

As i have started this post a little late i have almost finnished the layout! but i still have things to do and finishing touches to make. So make shour you watch this post.

Chris Bines

post-2641-12614323225995_thumb.jpg

post-2641-12614323725614_thumb.jpg

post-2641-1261432412443_thumb.jpg

Hi again all

just a quick update to say that Stoney Cross is finaly off to model club the reasons for this are that i have run out of space at home because i have to much models e.g. three layouts pluss lots of rolling stock, 16mm locos, rolling stock and workshop and general clutter. lol. Also at model club i can get a chance to show off my layout for the first time and get some help from other members with trying to finish it ready for exhibitions.

Chris

• 3 months later...

Hello all,

I havent done one of these for a while so here we go... Things havnt realy changed much with the layout, much because it has been at my local model club which can be seen at Barnstaple MRC but it is now at home in the loft after a very large tidy up!

Today i re-painted the background as the one my mate painted was er... a bit naff! all i realy need to do to finnish the layout is to build up the hill by the tonnal mouth which also needs putting in and a little landscaping behind the station building, then its just little bits and bobs and it will be finnished!

I have attached a photograph of the layout i took earlier today, see what you think...

Chris

post-2641-127067187551_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone,

I shall bring you all up to date with my layout, ive gotten rather fed-up with this flat grass (e.g. scatter) so i looked all round the internet and found nothing that was in my price range, as most sites sugested a static grass master. so i trawled through my hundreds and hundreds of Railway modeller, BRM, Model rail, Hornby mag, etc etc. Finaly very near the end of my look through my Hornby section of mags i found a great way to make my layout come alive! Pluss i have bought a new Hornby class 121 which runs like a dream and suits my layout perfectaly!

Photos below showing all...

Cheers

Chris

post-2641-127878909116_thumb.jpg

post-2641-127878914252_thumb.jpg

post-2641-127878923432_thumb.jpg

Hi Steve,

The grass is basket hanger liner pulled apart into lots of clumps and then just stuck down on to the bace bored with PVA. The hedges are Woodland Seanics hedge thingys ( not sure of the name ) and there are about 2 or 3 layers on each bush.

Chris

Been doing a bit more on the layout this morning, fixed the home signal which was broken due to heavy arms hitting it (not me :rolleyes: ) anyway that is now fixed. Painted one of the buffer stops on the goods loading yard and finaly gave the Permanent Way team some tools, they tryed lifting and replacing rails with there hands but it did not work and they all got some very sore toes because of it.

all the best

Chris

post-2641-127884570674_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris, looking good. Might be worthwhile adding a little bit rust colours to the buffer stop before it completely disappears into the undergrowth. Have a look at the buffers on 'Orchard Road', although I have gone a bit further than you have! Also, I was able to borrow a grassmaster to get the longer grass.

Hi Chris,

You dark horse, I did not know about this layout.... Well Done!

I will keep an eye on it now. Are you going to the Bear Street Show with it?

If you are then I'll look forward to seeing it on the 31st July (Only three weeks away!)

Kind regards.

Chris

Hello all,

Just a quick post today as im getting ready to go to Yeovil station tomorow! its going to be great...i hope :lol:

Here is the link to my new video on youtube of the layout, hope you all like it.

Speak soons and happy modeling

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick up-date today,

Ive just been running the layout to check for any little niggles that need fixing so...

No.1 point blade bent

No.2 point blades need cleaning for better power connection

No.3 fish plates need tweeking

No.4 i need a pint!

attached is a photo of my BR pannier and my new class 121,

Hope you like and happy modeling

Chris

post-2641-128017650962_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived