The railway modelling on Thomas the tank engine.

OnTheBranchline

Agreed - I wonder what became of it?

Incidentally there was an earlier model-based series made by the BBC in the 60s, but as it went out live, I'm sure you can all appreciate that it was somewhat problematical and the run was cancelled as a result! :-(

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

If you want the definitive website on the TV series and how it was made, check the Sodor Island fansite. Interviews with crew members galore and behind the scenes photographs which show the scale of the builds.

I've already done that.

By the way, I dislike how discussion is so confined in a couple HUGE threads and anything else is locked on the SiF forum.

As a young child I spotted that Thomas' driver was held down with Blu-tac. As a result I've never been completely convinced that Thomas really exists, or even that there is any such place as Sodor!

quite a bit of kitbashing of gauge 1 marklin locos which where the basis of the locos.

notice how a lot of the pieces on the ready to run Marklin loco appear on the diesel. rear tool box, bufferbeams, ladders,steps etc.

diesel.jpg

I often wonder what a lot of the rolling stock was built from as they look like conventional gauge 1 kits.

good bit of behind the scenes footage here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOGTVBX2ZAY

even if it was built for kids, it wasnt built by kids.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

For me, the genius of the modelling in the series is that it captured so well the spirit of the book illustrations. So it was just a bit simplified or naive.

The wagons (most of which I think were TenMille kits) let it down slightly as they were too finely detailed.

Archived