Crossover in a tunnel - Is this possible?

Guest jonte

Guest jonte

Good Morning.

If, for whatever reason, a station or terminus had been situated at the end of a long tunnel on a short piece of land - say on a site in a large town or city where land would have been at a premium - would it have been probable that one set of crossovers (forming a loop) would have been sited out of sight inside the mouth of the tunnel in order to facilitate a runround of sufficient length?

For instance, how would the signal man know that the locomotive had passed over the points prior to switching them so that it could run back round its train (I'm thinking 'olden days' trains) ?

Perhaps there were examples?

Any advice or assistance gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Jonte.

• RMweb Gold

Restricted area stations like Birmingham New St had points situated in tunnels.

To ensure that the train was clear of the points the line would be track circuited, or in earlier days there may have been fouling bars to prevent the points from being moved under the train.

• RMweb Premium

Glasgow Queen Street has crossovers entirely within Queen Street Tunnel. The London underground (and no doubt other systems as well) has a large number of such places.

Guest jonte

Many thanks gordon s, The Signal Engineer, Dutch Master and Buffalo, for your helpful and swift responses; I shall consider myself suitably chastised, Buffalo, for failing to conduct adequate research before hitting the 'send' button.

Jonte.

Archived