acg5324

• RMweb Premium

Due to various reasons the current Brighton MRC website at www.brightonmrc.freeserve.co.uk is being replaced after 13 years with www.brightonmrc.com

As I will no longer have to use a dial up link to access the freeserve server, updates should be more frequent. The new site has a huge 150mb of space compared to freeserves 15mb limit ( we were at around 14.5mb) there will be a lot more pictures.

Many pages have been transfered with lots more to go.

I don't mean any offense by this, but it's still not very user-friendly and is very difficult to read. You really need to remove that tiled picture from your background and make navigation links simpler to see and use. The column widths are way too long to be able to read properly, too.

I'll gladly set up a template for free or advise on better design and layout, if you're interested. I'm local in Hove and the one overriding thing that's not encouraged me visiting is your website.

Steve

• RMweb Premium

Hi Steve, I'm sorry that you have such a problem with the website.

I don't have a problem myself with the background picture but have had one earlier comment about it hence putting the text into boxes this time.

I don't understand what you mean by column width. Screens display Ok to me, is this if you have a wide screen monitor?

I'm certainly no expert on HTML etc it's all self taught ( and obviously shows ).

regards

Andy

• RMweb Premium

The site loads quickly.

The tiled appearance is fussy and hard on the eyes and many of the totem "links" are inactive or only link to a larger image of the totem. Perhaps that is still under construction but I was invited to click for more detail.

The green background to the information boxes - clearly intended to represent SR colours - is al ittle dark for monitors and could usefully be a fraction lighter without losing its rhyme and reason.

That said it's good to see developments and it's been very many years since I was last in the London Road clubroom.

• RMweb Gold

Worked OK for me until I tried to access guestbook.

I think that it will be fine as a site once it is all finished. The computer geeks always want websites to do so much more than they actually need to. All the main info is there and quickly accessible.

I am on a course near Brighton in September and hope that I will be able to visit the Clubrooms.What a great venue to have!

Hi Steve, I'm sorry that you have such a problem with the website.

I don't have a problem myself with the background picture but have had one earlier comment about it hence putting the text into boxes this time.

I don't understand what you mean by column width. Screens display Ok to me, is this if you have a wide screen monitor?

I'm certainly no expert on HTML etc it's all self taught ( and obviously shows ).

regards

Andy

Hello Andy, like I said, I don't mean offense. It's not that I have a personal problem with it, I just think it could look much much better and more inviting and, for a club, this is a good thing.

The clarity and legibility of information is what's missing here, as is navigation. These are two absolute non-negotiable necessities in a website. Your site links are on the second scroll down on my monitor, possibly further down on smaller screens. They should be the second thing you see, immediately after the name and purpose of the website.

The column widths I'm referring to is the width of the type across your page - the information. It goes from one edge of the screen to the other and is very difficult to scan down to the next line. The accepted wisdom is that lines of text should be no longer than 60-70 characters long. I stopped counting at 100 and there was still some way to go! Websites are dynamic and will fit to the width of your screen, unless you design them not to. I don't have a particularly large screen and my browser window only fills 2/3rds of that space but I still find it hard to read.

I'm giving you completely impartial advice, with the hope you'll at least think about it as you are my local club. I will freely give advice or even help with the design if you want it.

Kind regards,

Steve

Whilst Steve's 60-70 chars max linelength is a bit conservative in my view, I do agree with the general thrust of his criticisms: the tiled background is relentlessly confusing, there is not enough contrast between the black lettering on the green backgrounds, and the totem motif for navigational elements is badly positioned and presented.

• RMweb Premium

As I pass though London Rd station twice a day at the moment on my commute, I thought I would offer a quick revision of the design to take into account the comments made so far.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1710036/bmrc/index.html

Or download everything from https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1710036/bmrc.zip

Maybe I'll call in one week!

Archived