NickL2008's workbench: Renumbering and reworking a Dutch Tractor

They look ok! They don't look bad in the photos and its hard to see any yellowing. Will you do a full respray?

Im trying to live with things that im not happy with. I'm not 100% happy with my latest blue spraying session which is a touch grainy. So going to attempt a light sand and then apply some gloss. Had planned on a top cost of railmatch satin..

Good luck! If you're doing a full respray I'd be tempted to see if the varnish would come off with some t-cut or similar

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/07/2023 at 21:37, dj_crisp said:

They look ok! They don't look bad in the photos and its hard to see any yellowing. Will you do a full respray?

Im trying to live with things that im not happy with. I'm not 100% happy with my latest blue spraying session which is a touch grainy. So going to attempt a light sand and then apply some gloss. Had planned on a top cost of railmatch satin..

Good luck! If you're doing a full respray I'd be tempted to see if the varnish would come off with some t-cut or similar

Hi Will, 

When I masked the 101 the varnish has come off, so looks to of not cured properly, blue is on, just need to get the Grey on now to tidy it up, although run out of masking tape so progress will have to wait until next week, although this weekend I can post an update on what ive been working on when im back home

NL

• Like 1

On 21/07/2023 at 17:52, NickL2008 said:

Hi Will, 

When I masked the 101 the varnish has come off, so looks to of not cured properly, blue is on, just need to get the Grey on now to tidy it up, although run out of masking tape so progress will have to wait until next week, although this weekend I can post an update on what ive been working on when im back home

NL

Sounds good to me! Good luck.

The weather isn't helping for me to progress any of my airbrush projects. I've been spraying blue on mine and I'm not sure whether it's the paint I'm using, the weather, a new compressor or just my poor mixing skills as it all looks a little rough. Going to finish one with some satin varnish to see if I'll get away with it. The trials of painting!

14 hours ago, dj_crisp said:

Sounds good to me! Good luck.

The weather isn't helping for me to progress any of my airbrush projects. I've been spraying blue on mine and I'm not sure whether it's the paint I'm using, the weather, a new compressor or just my poor mixing skills as it all looks a little rough. Going to finish one with some satin varnish to see if I'll get away with it. The trials of painting!

Hi Will,

Thank you, its been going well so far the Railmatch blue ive used has gone on well so far and it looks better already. Which paint are you using for your respray? ive not had many problems so far ( famous last words lol)  with spraying, the only thing thats caused issue for me is the primer "wrinkling" or "orange peeling" a bit, although the latter could be down to me spray too heavy a coat

NL

The paint I've used is Rainbow Railways BR early blue which is a perfect match for Bachmanns Blue on their recent DMU releases. It might be the paint is a little old but I remember finding it tricky to spray well when new also. Railmatch is my preferred paint when it comes to spraying.

I think next time I'm going to try different thinners to see if that helps.

Airbrushing is one of those things that some days goes brilliantly and others less so!

• 5 months later...

Hi-

A quick update on my latest aquisition. To replace my older model of 37191, the latest Bachmann release of 37201 seemed a suitable replacement. So far the model has Heljan snowploughs, and the vacuum / air pipes replaced with wire, and new recepticle ends made from filed + reshaped plastic rod. The "pidgeon spike" airiels also replaced with very fine bristle from an old toothbrush. The next jobs, will be to add working screw links, and get the body renumbered + nameplates removed, and order the replacement roof grill and glazing from Shawplan, and of course sort out that incorrect cast bogie! ( dont suppose anyone has one to swap? ) 

Further updates soon

NL

DSC_0155~2.JPG

DSC_0160~2.JPG

DSC_0161~2.JPG

Edited by NickL2008
  • Like 3

• NickL2008 changed the title to NickL2008's workbench: Renumbering and reworking a Dutch Tractor