Penzance too Longrock signaling

I took my boy to Penzance station the other morning to see the sleeper train come in. After arrival the shunter then came down the line to take the empty stock and loco, back to Longrock depot. My question revolves around the next part, whilst waiting for departure, the signal stayed red, however the little signal to the side (I assume a shunt signal) two white lights, see picture changed, and the train departed. Is this the shunt signal? if so why is it not normally illuminated? and would this signal always be used for movements too Longrock? or is this to do with the shunter collecting the train.

post-9949-0-64363100-1344975282_thumb.jpg

Sorry if my terminology is incorrect, and that this might seem like a easy one, or that this question is in the wrong place, but have no background in signalling, and would really like to know

thanks will

• RMweb Gold

My question revolves around the next part, whilst waiting for departure, the signal stayed red, however the little signal to the side (I assume a shunt signal) two white lights, see picture changed, and the train departed. Is this the shunt signal? if so why is it not normally illuminated? and would this signal always be used for movements too Longrock? or is this to do with the shunter collecting the train.

The subsidiary signal is for the route into the sidings - as you surmise, it only lights for moves to the sidings, it matters not what the move is, so it could be a unit or a loco or the shunter and the stock.

excellent thank you very much Beast66606. Just one more question then, what is the black box above the subsidiary signal for? as seen on signal 69 (just in shot) but not on signal 67. if its any help I believe that signal 67 is the starter for platform 1 (does not have one), signal 68 is platform 2 (does not have one), 69 platform 3 (has one), and 70 platform 4 (has one). Hope this makes sense.

Once again thank you very much.

• RMweb Gold

It is indeed a route indicator as the sub on PZ 69 can read to either No.39 GPL in the Up Sidings or the Sea Sidings on the Down Side - the 'box diagram can found here http://craigmunday.smugmug.com/Trains/Signalling-gallery/19326040_SjPHgw#!i=1539978082&k=DVxkPL3&lb=1&s=X3 courtesy a certain member of this site) and the relevant current Penzance lever leads may be found here http://www.s-r-s.org.uk/html/gwf/S1090-7.pdf

The "Shunt" signal also tells driver he is going onto a line which may be occupied "Permissive" such as sidings, depots, dead end platform or anywhere else where such working is permitted.

It does not require to be lit ( unlike an ordinary shunt GPL signal) as it is asociated with a main signal and the main RED aspect applies.

Archived