South Shields Station

Mike W2

I'm looking for pics and and track plans for South Shields station in a kind of past and present sort of way. Well present until the station closed and the Metro took over. I want to know what it was like pre WW2 and also in the 70's and early 80's until it closed.

My family are from South Shields and we used to live there around the time of the station closure, so that's when I remember it. I've also seen many pics of South Shields as it was years ago and I know of a site for that but it doesn't have much on the station.

I'm also interested in it as a potential basis for a layout, hence the track plans.

If anyone has any pics that can be shared of plans I'd be very grateful.

thanks

Mike

Hi Mike,

The book "Consett to South Shields via Beamish" (Roger R Darsley, Middleton Press, ISBN 978 1 906008 57 4) includes photos, plans of South Shields across ~6 pages (steam, DMU, Metro). I got a copy from eBay (searched "Consett").

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Steve.

The book "Consett to South Shields via Beamish" (Roger R Darsley, Middleton Press, ISBN 978 1 906008 57 4) includes photos, plans of South Shields across ~6 pages (steam, DMU, Metro). I got a copy from eBay (searched "Consett").

There is a listing on eBay for his book now, just bought a copy, there was one left this morning...

John

• RMweb Premium

I have copied this from the Newcastle thread.

This might be of use to you. Taken from the arch bridge just south of the Tyne. It was like this in the sisties. The turntable well was still there, off to the left. The remains of the platforms are on the right.

post-6751-0-93007000-1345230260_thumb.jpg

Try to obtain a copy of "Railways of South Shields" by Niel T. Sinclair & Ian S. Carr.

Published by Tyne & Wear Museums.

Blandford House

Blandford Square

Newcastle upon Tyne

NEN14JA

ISBN 0 905974 492

It was published in 1990 and has excellent photos of the station and other railways in the area.

ArthurK

Archived