Masons' Mitres....or

Whilst fitting a large string-course to a building front today, it occurred to me that one or two modellers might not know about Masons' Mitres.......

Conventional mitres [Pic1] can be a little tricky to cut both pieces to fit exactly to length, but even when cut succesfully, perhaps using a home-made guide,[Pic3] the least shrinkage of the card can show as a glaring gap [Pic 2]

This problem becomes more acute as the depth and thickness of the moulding increase, so I shall be using a 'Masons' Mtire' as only one half needs cutting to shape, the other half is cut squarely to the length of the wall and stuck in place. The end of the second piece is cut to resemble the shape of the moulding and fitted squarely to the adjoining wall. I've shown the union held loosely together with BlueTack. A little glue and a coat of paint will make the joint invisible.

post-106-0-70777700-1345282289.jpg

post-106-0-58132800-1345282291.jpg

post-106-0-45932900-1345282753.jpg

post-106-0-62216100-1345282293.jpg

post-106-0-80520700-1345282295.jpg

post-106-0-82942800-1345282287.jpg

I hope this will helpful someone!

Doug

While you're there Doug (!), and with all your experience, how on earth would you go about replicating the brickwork arch and reveals to the window below. I have 8 to do as part of an engine shed (based on surviving buildings at Newton Abbot). The main structure is going to be foam board with the stonework scribed onto 1mm Das. Expecting to use paper for the brickwork, stuck to a narrow piece of obechi cut to follow the 'outer edge' of the bricks where the 1mm Das will butt against it.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!!

post-11262-0-99944200-1345763014_thumb.jpg

Hullo, Alan,

John Wiffen does a series of brick arch printouts in his 'Windows' which should do the job.. http://scalescenes.c...hes-and-Windows

...and if you look along the side of a brick sheet such as red brick TXO1 there is a strip of 'soldier course' bricks that could be trimmed '3 up, 3 down' as shown in your photograph....and then folded around the arris as I have shown above.

I too would cut a re-usable outer template to hold in place temporarily whilst the DAS is applied.

Good luck,

Doug

Hmmm, I'm not such an idiot after all... I was thinking along those lines as well!!... although the arches and windows sheet is a bit of an unknown as far as the radius of the arches is concerned. It won't break the bank to give it a try though!

Cheers Doug

Hi

Have you looked a the CG textures site? I find it quite useful. If you import into a drawing programme you can cut out bits you want and paste them as required then print off. Couple of examples below.

post-7345-0-76680600-1345821971.jpg

post-7345-0-33618400-1345822027.jpg

post-7345-0-87099300-1345823040.jpg

Arches can be done by cutting individual bricks then pasting to the pre-set curve, grouping them together then copy as many times as you want.

Regards

Roger

That looks very promising Roger. Thanks.... I will definitely be taking a good look after dinner... which I'm just about to start cooking!

but... couldn't resist having a quick look beforehand.... and my, doesn't it look promising!!!! Think I'll do beans on toast, so dinner will be quick!!

What a choice there is Roger (on the CG Textures site)... should be able to find something that suits. Have registered but not donloaded anything yet... just wondering... I'm OK with cut and pasting... but on a pre-set curve? How do you go about doing that?

Cheers

......that all seems a great deal of trouble when an arch [below] can be chosen from the pdf download, and 'dragged' to the size to suit any opening. The Scalescenes arch download comes with a set of shapes in 'standard' sizes which are in themselves a good planning tool.

Additionally, it seems a great deal more trouble to DAS the walls when stone papers are available......perhaps this discussion could continue elsewhere as its merits or otherwise would be lost from view in topic-based searches?

post-106-0-42528500-1345881753.jpg

Doug

Apologies, Doug, for side-tracking the topic.

I suspect everyone will have their preferences vis-a- vis modelling materials. Mine are probably stranger than most.. and I put that down to my work as a Conservation Officer... always seeking something that I can only describe as 'authenticity'. I'm also set in my ways... and particularly now that I'm retired, I have all the time in the world to indulge in my time consuming modelling activities!

Come to think of it, I've always done that! and by way of illustration, here's a couple of models I made 20 odd years ago in 2mm scale, both using a kind of clay made by Peco (since disappeared) which was a bit like Das but a little more 'texturey'. The slates on the warehouse (based on one in Totnes) are, believe it or not, made from real slate, which I 'quarried' locally from spoil heaps not far from Totnes! Some people thought I should be 'put away'!

post-11262-0-32124900-1345894790_thumb.jpg

post-11262-0-71702300-1346026760_thumb.jpg

......that all seems a great deal of trouble when an arch [below] can be chosen from the pdf download, and 'dragged' to the size to suit any opening. The Scalescenes arch download comes with a set of shapes in 'standard' sizes which are in themselves a good planning tool.

Additionally, it seems a great deal more trouble to DAS the walls when stone papers are available......perhaps this discussion could continue elsewhere as its merits or otherwise would be lost from view in topic-based searches?

post-106-0-42528500-1345881753.jpg

Doug

Quite right Doug, sorry didn't mean to go off topic. Interested to know how you drag the arches as I thought John had locked the pdf to prevent unauthorised access?

best wishes

Roger

Compared with the detailed work in your lovely 2mm stuff, tweaking textured bricks is childs play!

However, should there not be an arch of a size that suits your purposes, you can either 'Zoom' the PDF in 'View' using 'Dynamic Zoom' to fill the screen with just one or two arches and then using a screen capture facility [i use that in 'Faststone' a free download], I cut and paste and save to my desktop a file that can be opened in a drawing system as a JPEG and 'drawn out' to suit the size of your opening.

It sounds long-winded, but really is quicker than you imagine, with the advantage that you can keep a file for storing all your useful shapes.

In this way you can, as I do, select a bookcase from JW's furniture file, an interior door and a carpet, put them all on one end of a piece of A4, print them off, cut off the 1.5" of paper and put it back in the printer for the next jobby.

I hope that helps,

Doug

Doesn't sound long-winded Doug. My only thought is that if, say, the 2 arches I need span 4'6" and 12'6" (as they do!) and the one on JW's sheet spans something in beween, won't I change the size of the bricks by 'drawing it in and out' to suit these widths... and the bricks won't actually match?

Sorry to be a pain!

Edit.

Heard back from JohnW this morning and it seems the two round-headed arches on the sheet are 'almost' a perfect fit... so will be giving them a try... and downloading Faststone too! Cheers Doug

Alan, The larger arch is 12'-6" to scale and the smaller just under 4ft, so will not take muck stretching. Remember, many arches were constructed from 'special' bricks, or 'rubbed' to make them into smaller bricks...don't sweat the small stuff...!

Good luck,

Doug

Doug... that last little comment of yours is spot on, especially in relation to bricks!!!!

Have just downloaded the Faststone program and am currently reading the 'manual'. Must work on this quickly as the prog is said to be a 30-day trial!

Thanks again

Alan

Archived