RMweb

Expecting new credit/debit card? Late?

Chubber

Hullo,

If you have a credit or debit card that is shortly due to expire and its replacement is overdue be sure to check your statements thoroughly either on-line or as soon as your paper copy arrives.

Why? You may be in for a nasty surprise, as was I when my Lloyds debit card account statement showed a deduction for £450 to a U.K. based travel agent for a foreign currency transaction made over the internet. It appears that my replacement card was stolen en-route to my home in France and my bank account accessed by someone using the new card and the name of 'Nassim Ahmed'.

My current card expires at the end of August.

Lloyds have refunded the cash.

I noticed immediately only because the card is one that we keep in a drawer for 'emergencies' and has not been used since March and I knew to the penny how much there was in the account. Should you have a business account card or a lot of debits on your statements you may miss such a payment.

So, at the risk of boring you by repetition, if you have a card due to expire very shortly and its replacement has not arrived.....

Be extra vigilant!

Doug

Not a new one I am afraid - had this happen to me with Barclaycard over twenty years ago in the days before internet banking.

Luckily their fraud department spotted it; I rarely used that card and hadn't realised the replacement had not arrived. The card had been used in Miss Selfridge in my home city.

Now I check all my cards and current account each night on the internet!

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Had cheque books go "missing in the post" before now.

Even had some scumbag write a large cheque to a charity, who then contacted me to confirm the amount.

I suppose he(she) was trying to look 'big' in front of some mates by doing so.

The charity contacting me was the first I knew of the undelivered cheque book.

The Bank had sent the book out when the previous book was only partly used so I wasn't expecting it.

Several other dud cheques turned up over the succeeding weeks, the recipients all expecting me to cover their loss!

Keith

Archived