Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

TCS EUN651 dead?

Coldgunner

There is either something wrong with my layout wiring or there is something wrong with my SPROGII setup.

A quick overview...

The layout thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/46883-greslington-n-gauge-layout/page__st__225

The wiring diagram...

7507622472_2ef5800041_c.jpg

SCN_0001-page-001 by Coldgunner, on Flickr

And finally my SPROG IIv3. This is connected to the 18v uncontrolled DC output from my HM2000, this is within the written guidelines for power connection and output. I've been able to run happily with this setup, but if you've been following my posts, I've ad similar issues with the cheap Bachmann 6 pin chips. Decoderpro3 is the software used.

The chip is currently fitted to my Dapol A3. I've left the coach attached to show what the chip is doing with the power, on its own the coach is ok.

Apologies, youtube seems to be taking forever to process it. Give it a little while.

What the video shows is power being applied to the track, the motor inside 2750 buzzing on and off and the coach lights flickering in time to the buzzing noise.

edit: I've got the awful feeling 18v may be too much and the SPROG may not be converting to 12v.

If it's a Sprog 3 that you are using then it "requires a regulated DC power supply of 12 - 18V, at least 2.5 Amp" and as far as I know the HM2000 can't supply this much current, so it's this which may well be giving you problems. See this link

I think the HM2000 can only supply up to 1 Amp.

I agree with Smokebox - the Sprog needs a decent quality power supply. The H&M is not offering a regulated DC power supply, it will fluctuate all over the place.

Use a Switched Mode DC supply, an old laptop power brick may be suitable (check its rated output, some are too high at 19v, others are fine at 14v or 16v) .

- Nigel

• RMweb Gold

Mines a SPROGII, might invest in one of their specific power units if thats the case.

Sounds sensible ;)

just as an aside, is the layout a little too big to be operated using a SPROGII - I only use mine for test and programming etc. I do come across locos that won't run too well with the SPROG because of the low voltage/current to the track and have to confirm all is well using my Powercab.

Just a thought.

The layout is only 1500mm x 600mm, with one main track loop and a few sidings. The total length of track is about 4 metres.

Fortunately TCS do a very good no quibble warranty, I'll get one of the SPROG power supplies on order. The SPROG setup is currently on a stopgap until I can afford a decent quality controller.

And finally my SPROG IIv3. This is connected to the 18v uncontrolled DC output from my HM2000, this is within the written guidelines for power connection and output.

Written where? The SPROG II User Guide is quite clear that 15V is the maximum and it *must* be a clean regulated DC supply. The aux outputs of old DC controllers are often just rectified and smoothed.

Regarding layout control, the sprog II can happily drive multiple locos over 10s of metres of track. It all depends on the power requirements of the locos and quality of the wiring.

From the horse's mouth :-)

Andrew Crosland

http://www.sprog-dcc.co.uk

Doh! I got it into my head that it was higher than that, might explain a few things indeed! This seems to be my cockup :( and one to chalk down to experience eh?

Ordered one of your power supplies now!

Thanks everyone for your responses, especially Andrew!

Archived