Farish Ivatt 2MT

TomE

Received my green one yesterday.  Lovely looking and a fine runner.  Surprisingly light.  

Given I've had some pretty rotten luck with recent loco purhases lately (Dapol Western missing its buffer valance, Farish J39 L/C with is mechincal lubricator missing the pin that attached it to the body - both returned), I decided to examine it carefully.  And I had to laugh.  On one side of the loco, the union link and combination level where attached the wrong way around to the crosshead bar, so that they were behind the bar instead of in front of it.  It did make for a curious motion!

Fortunately there was just enough in slop in the mechanism that I was able to force the the link and lever over the bar and put everything the right way around.  But if there was ever evidence that QC is being left by the manufacturers to the consumer, this has to be it!

Matt

Still undecided on the green one, (though I would love to have one, they really do look good)

I have had rotten luck as well lately with my purchases (particularly farish purchases though a couple of minor issues with 2 Dapol 57xx's), the last one being a black early crest 2mt, lovely looking model, but the driver wheel set was upside down (hence the coupling rods upside down) the screw that holds the pony truck on had been over tightened and stripped and it was a shocking runner, however after much frustration and tinkering with the quartering it is now running, sort of okay.

Not sure I want to go through this again with a green one. ( I have a standard 5 that even after purchasing a new set of drivers from farish, I still can't get to run satisfactorily)

I am going to have to learn to send them back when they are no good, but I fear that returning them to the UK from Australia could turn into a long drawn out affair.

Don  

If you have a spare set of wheels then you have a spare set of the central insulating bushes on the wheels - I've found on a few locos that these aren't concentrically moulded, so the wheel doesn't sit concentric on the axle. Running can have the appearance of quartering issue.You can swap them out as they are push fit - I've cured a wobble on one loco in this way.

Cheers,
Alan

I tried running my Ivatt on Kato Unitrack Compact 7.5" radius curves and it had no running problems at all.  I'm not sure why the manufacturers always seem to say minimum radius is R1 (9") or R2 (10 3/8") when almost every loco I have (the Farish Jubilee is the only exception b/c of front foot steps interfere with the bogie) will run on tighter radius.  The latest Blue Ribbon coaching stock from Farish is limited to R1 but for the new locos, tighter radius is no problem.

Matt

• 2 months later...

Positive report on my black 46440, it is now running quite acceptably, quartering seemed to be the main issue.

Still no news on the repair/replacement or return of my green one, fingers crossed.

Regards

Don

Archived