Farish Ivatt 2MT

TomE

• RMweb Gold

So long ago I can't remember, but for those who've waited patiently the fact it's now loco drive with the new coreless motor will make it worth the wait if it matches the quality of the WD

Tom.

• RMweb Gold

What's the typical time between an EP and the finished article appearing in the shops?

Well the WD EP first appeared in September last year so that's taken 11 months, but others have been quicker than that. You're probably looking at anywhere between 8-10 months away.

Tom.

I thought I felt sympathy pains in my wallet this morning. ;) NIce looking model though. I have had one on pre-order for a couple of years, in some ways I am rather glad it was delayed long enough to receive the new coreless loco drive.

What's the typical time between an EP and the finished article appearing in the shops?

Third hand info via another web group said "unlikely to be ready for Warley"...

• RMweb Premium

Looking through my collection of catalogues it seems it was first announced five years ago, in 2007.

Matt

That was about what I was thinking.

I do find myself wondering whether allowance has been made in the tooling for the addition of a bunker & tanks.......

Interesting question. Did the Std 4 mogul lead to the forthcoming Std 4 2-6-4? It is a shame Dapol have not done improved versions of their Ivatt 2MT and Small Prairie as they have done with the Q1. The detailing on both these models is good, it is just the running that is a bit aneamic.

Interesting question. Did the Std 4 mogul lead to the forthcoming Std 4 2-6-4? It is a shame Dapol have not done improved versions of their Ivatt 2MT and Small Prairie as they have done with the Q1. The detailing on both these models is good, it is just the running that is a bit aneamic.

I suppose you could mate a Dapol body with the Farish chassis for the 2MT?

Looking forward to this one- I just need to work out which version is the nearest for an NER one. In this case I don't need haulage capacity as the only photo I have of one on the line I'm modelling is hauling an inspection saloon!

Significantly there is a nice photo of a 2MT at Darlington working hard on a train of about 20 bogie bolsters. That looks impressive- until you see the companion photo of a second member of the class, also going flat out, on the other end of the same train.......

All the very best

Les

Amazing news. It was announced c early 2007 I think. About the time Dapol launched their first (non P/P) tranch of the tank version. Dapol had hinted that the tender version was under development until G/F jumped in. After so many years it had better be perfect in all respects.

The photo looks very promising. Mine has been on pre order since late2010.

Looking forward to this one- I just need to work out which version is the nearest for an NER one. In this case I don't need haulage capacity as the only photo I have of one on the line I'm modelling is hauling an inspection saloon!

Significantly there is a nice photo of a 2MT at Darlington working hard on a train of about 20 bogie bolsters. That looks impressive- until you see the companion photo of a second member of the class, also going flat out, on the other end of the same train.......

All the very best

Les

If you want a BR black one you are limited to only one choice, an early crest model 46440.

I have had mine on preorder with Hattons for over 2 years at a guaranteed preorder price of £58.

Quite a bargain!

Roy

If you want a BR black one you are limited to only one choice, an early crest model 46440.

I have had mine on preorder with Hattons for over 2 years at a guaranteed preorder price of £58.

Quite a bargain!

Roy

Good thinking that- I've now ordered a black one. It has gone up to £72 guaranteed price but that is still a long way below what it will be when it finally appears.

The NER ones were 46470 to 46482, divided originally between Darlington, West Auckland and Kirkby Stephen sheds. Someone had the bright idea that being light they could replace J21s and J25s on the Stainmore route being light enough to go over the viaducts. They proved only marginally useful as they weren't strong enough to tackle the banks and the strong winds with a half-decent length train. The viaduct weight restrictions were relaxed slightly and 3MT tanks took over the passenger work and Ivatt and Standard 4MT 2-6-0 tender locos the goods (with a 3MT 2-6-0 if they had nothing stronger). Piloting bigger engines and local goods work became their lot, though they were much sought-after for inspection saloon duties as their cabs were comfortable.

All the very best

Les

I think that a pre-order is smart. That £72 pre-order price has been there for a while and may no longer reflect the actual price upon release.

For example, from the Farish website, the RRP from the new (yet to be released) Farish 4MT tank is £98.95. Hattons' pre-order price for that loco is £84.11 - about £15 less. But the RRP for the Ivatt is £100.20 which makes Hattons £72 price a £28 discount.

Either Hattons has a firm contract with Farish for the Ivatts at a price considerably less than RRP, or Hattons' has simply forgotten to update its asking price for the Ivatt. In any case, I've pre-orded one, too. (Now I just wish I'd done it back when the asking was £58!. It was that price for quite some time but with no indication for months and months the model was actually forthcoming, I doubted it would ever see the light of day so didn't pre-order. Dumb!)

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Archived