Class 60 DCC sound?

Multiple identity account 2

Hey I've got a Hornby Class 60 in Mainline Blue livery. I want to add DCC sound to it. Can anyone please tell me as to what I can do to get around to doing this? The Hornby Class 60 has an 8-pin socket-is it good enough? or for DCC sound does it require 2 different decoders or a 21-pin socket?

An 8-pin ESU LokSound (as in the Howes one) or a Zimo version will control the locomtive motor, lights and sound all in one. The only problem may be finding space to mount the speaker(s) - I fitted a bass reflex speaker to mine and had to mill away a little of the underside of the silencer recess to clear this. For the standard Howes/ESU decoder with a standard 23mm round speaker, there shouldn't be too much of a problem with the fitting.

Thanx! is it easy to fit for a first timer like me...?

All decoders are relatively easy to fit and if your model is fitted with an eight pin socket, then as long as you buy an eight pin decoder it is a relatively simple job to plug it in.

The sound decoder needs a speaker and this is where the installation needs to be good. it is imperative that the speaker has a fitted enclosure which is supplied and that the enclosure is completely airtight so that no sound can leak from behind the cone and mix with the sound coming from the front.

Most poor sound decoder installations are due to neglect of this procedure and it is still a problem even for some dealer installs and even factory fit.

Good sound decoder speaker installs are a science worth mastering if you intend to persevere with sound as this enables you to rectify models that suffer from a poor install.

There are a variety of threads on here about this.

Archived