Painting RTR steam loco wheels

I have recently picked up a bargain Fleischmann BR55 in N gauge, which is in Italian FS livery, which I thought I would repaint into Swedish SJ livery as class G. Fleischmann had previously released the same loco in plain black livery with a sheet of decals for various European railways, including SJ, SNCF etc. The new loco in FS livery, however has a German style red underframe.

Replacing the decals and disassembling the tender to repaint seems fine, but I'm not so sure about the loco body and wheels. How do people tend to paint wheel centres and frames? Disassemble everything? Or try to spray while the wheels are in place and rotating? I'm reluctant to try and remove the valve gear from the wheels!

The plastic that is used for the wheel centres looks slightly "waxy" - would it be a good idea to try some kind of etching primer on it? Or are any paints recommended for durability on chassis parts?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

I would try to disassemble it. Is it maybe possible to drop the complete wheel assembly with rods and all?

A primer is vital! I use Solarfilms Prymol with very good result!

Don't forget to degrease everything first.

• RMweb Gold

I'm not very good at disassembly (well truth be told, it's the re-assembly that catches me out). For blackening wheels I use Testors Polly Scale Steam Power black. This seems to stick to pretty much anything, though directly onto metal sometimes needs a 2nd coat.

Although I spray the bodies, chassis and everything else, I always handpaint the whhels. I find it much better for the finish as well as being easier as the is no need to sparay from "all angles" to get then covered and it also avoids having the clean off the tyres.

Kim

Many thanks for the suggestions. I'll test a few etch primers on the plastics involved, and plan on spraying the chassis frames, but brush painting the wheels themselves.

The motion appears to be attached to the plate incorporating the cylinders, and is only joined by a single pin on either side, through the connecting rods on the third wheel. I'm not sure how that pin is actually attached though - hopefully just a friction fit from behind!

• RMweb Gold

Once you've finished painting the chassis and wheels, you may find that paint has found it's way onto the wheel treads and backs of flanges. An easy way to clean this off is to wire the chassis up directly to your controller (soldering wires on to the motor temporarily if possible) and running the chassis under power, whilst at the same time using a cotton bud dampened in cellulose thinners and applied to the treads and backs of flanges. You will probably need to use several cotton buds for a whole chassis. This has the advantage of giving a nice, clean edge around the edges of the wheels as well as leaving your wheel treads nice and clean for good electrical pick up.

Archived