Khan - 009 in Africa

jbe

I thought I would like to continue with my layout thread from the previous version of RMWeb, but rather than copying everything across, just put in a link here for anybody interested

Khan story so far

Since my last posting the layout has been to the Beaconsfield exhibition. I suffered a major problem as I forgot to pack the front scenic/information boards of the layout, so having set up up what we could, a 50 mile round trip by transit van ensued to get the rest of it. My fellow operator manfully struggled on until I got back, but we lost important set up and fault elimination time which 'bit' us for much of the show.

As a result I have created a) a loading list and tried to improve the running. The latter has involved both looking at the trackwork and the rolling stock. I found two big problems with the track. Firstly I was getting very poor running through one of the (inaccesible) tunnel mouths. Having spent a lot of time running different vehicles through, I found a very small blob of glue on the inside of the top of the rail which when removed cured matters. The second problem was more difficult to find as it happened at an (inaccesible) turnout with one type of bogie only and in one direction only. Eventually I found that the problem was that the pin from the Peco point motor was standing slightly proud of the tie bar and catching the bogie frame of the Parkside Dundas wagons. Slightly lowering the point motor (packing pieces from stirrers from a well known coffee shop) cured it.

The next problem was to improve the general running of the PD wagons. I did this by freeing the rotation of the bogies by raising the ride height and setting the back-to-backs to 7.4mm (from 7.15mm). This seems to have helped a lot.

We have now moved house and the layout is in a very cold garage. I have a lot of testing to do before the next outing (Astolat, Guildford on 16th Jan), so either I have to hope for warmer weather or bring the layout indoors after Christmas.

A few photos to end with.

Thanks for reading. Julian

post-7362-12615166071662_thumb.jpg

post-7362-12615166492561_thumb.jpg

post-7362-12615168531919_thumb.jpg

post-7362-12615168795258_thumb.jpg

This is very nice Julian! I particularly like the 0-8-0 loco; is this freelance or prototypical?

All the best

Simon

Simon,

Thank you for your response. The 0-8-0T is modelled on a prototype, albeit a prototype that had outside frames. Scratchbuilding an OF chassis is way beyond my capabilities at the moment. so compromise was needed and I use a Fleischmann chassis.

The original was one of four built for the Swakopmund-Windhoek railway (on which Khan is based) in German South West Africa by Arn Jung in 1904/05. In total this railway had 20 0-8-0Ts from 3 different makers (the others being O&K and Krauss). When new there were significant differences in the designs. After a few years of operations in hot, sandy conditions the modifications made to them (larger tanks, sand shields, clerestory roofed cabs, bigger cab windows) mean that very few looked alike and modelling them is fun - I now have six of the 20, but that is enough for my layout's needs.

For a blow-by-blow account of building this engine, please see this link to ngrm: NGRM Loco Build Link

Julian

• 1 month later...

So, Astolat on 16th Jan went far better than Beaconsfield, both because I managed to take the whole layout with me this time (rather than leaving bits at home) and because of the actions taken to improve running. The major problems have been eliminated and I actually enjoyed it this time.

The show was well organised, especially the help from the local club members with unloading and loading the van. It really could not have been better. Good food and a plentiful supply of tea and coffee kept us all happy. I had two new operators with me who got the hang of it quickly. However, the layout does remain a challenge to operate well despite various operator aids put in place.

I added a few more scenic details (a couple of vultures), some point lanterns and tidied up some of the ground cover. There is still a list of improvements to be done and a snag list of faults (happily fewer than last time) to deal with.

Next outing is Newbury on 13th February at Park House School on Andover Road: Newbury 2010 Exhibition

Finally a few more photos.

Julian

post-7362-12642769276014_thumb.jpg

post-7362-12642769486406_thumb.jpg

post-7362-12642769698238_thumb.jpg

post-7362-12642769895197_thumb.jpg

post-7362-12642770254466_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Just one photo from the Newbury show for anyone interested. (Photos of some of the other layouts in the 'Exhibitions' section.)

post-7362-12662675658456_thumb.jpg

The learning curve remains very steep. The first hour was difficult with poor running. I think this is due to the difference between the coldness of the van and the warmth of the hall. Things improved after that, but the challenge of operating it well remains. It is very easy to make a mistake in the hidden sections and cause a major problem through over-running a loop and fouling an on-coming train. My helpers made some suggestions, not all of which are repeatable, so I will try to improve for the next outing at Narrow Gauge South at Sparsholt on 10th April. This is a real 'modellers show'.

Julian

• 2 months later...

For anybody interested in learning a bit more about Khan, it is the subject of an article in May's Continental Modeller.

Narrow Gauge South was a really good show and a pleasure to attend. Operations went much more smoothly than before and it was a great talking to so many people who came along.

Thanks, Julian

Saw Khan last week at Sparshot. It stood out in that it looked highly original, haven't seen many dessert layouts, and you werent having to prod your locos to get them moving. rolleyes.gif

Jimmer,

Thanks - it is a bit different, but not everyone likes 'different'!

You must have caught us in a good patch as we did have occasional bouts of prodding. Reliability is always hard to achieve, particularly with small mechanisms with few pick ups. At the end of each show I have written down all the problems experienced and tried to eliminate them in time for the next. This seems to have helped, even though some problems have re-occured.

Julian

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Julian, just stumbled on this thread having seen you at the Leytonstone show a few weeks ago !!

It seems the running issues are all but dealt with; I didn't ask, but are you using an electronic track cleaning device; indeed can you use one with the tiny motors involved...?

Keep up the updates if poss!

Regards

David

• 1 month later...

David,

Sorry to take so long to reply. I hadn't realised someone had posted.

No I don't use an electronic (Relco type) cleaner, though I know 009 modellers who do very satisfactorily. My method is simple. Clean the track by rubbing over with methylated spriits, then run down the track with a graphite (artists) pencil. I seem only to need to do this in general about every 6 months, though if I find a spot of bad running, I try to find the cause, clean and re-graphite. It does the trick for me!

Next outings are Pewsey (13th Aug), Merstham (17th Sept), Wickham (1st/2nd Oct) and finally (for 2011), Beckenham (22nd Oct).

Please come along and say hello if you are at any of these shows.

Julian

Archived