Jubilee on the Waverley Route?

sulzeruk

Were Jubilees ever present on the Waverley Route? Can't recall seeing any pics of them, I know that Kingmoor had some? Had a quick browse of the Net and they all seemed to be used on Glasgow trains routed via the WCML? They seem to have been used on the Waverley but this seems to have had a loco change from a Jubilee to a Holbeck Jubilee or vice versa???

Alasdair

Guest Max Stafford

Not quite sure how that happened but I suspect it came off at Hawick on a failure, was borrowed for a Hawick turn, perhaps for post-repair testing before finding its way back to Kingmoor.

Dave.

45696 Arethusa visited the Jedburgh Branch on the 29th May 1964 photo J Spencer Gilks in The Border CountryBranch Line Album by Neil Caplan. I am sure another was at Hawick at least!!!

David

Thats the one. Picture of it shunting the yard too.

Guest Max Stafford

Let's not forget that services from the WCML were often diverted over the Waverley, thereby I suspect providing many of the reported sightings. This means was responsible for the sighting of no less the TEN Duchesses!

Dave.

Oh dear. I daren't look at the annals too much becuase it inevitably raises another demand on the wallet. Whatever happened to being content with a B1 and a Brit?

Repeat after me: 'Don't let the rare birds tempt you, a Class 31 did work over the line after all...'

Just wondering if anyone has produced a definitive list of locos seen on the W.R,?

We at WRHA attempted this some years ago and it was a mountain of a challenge, though I believe that Kenneth Gray's list which Bruce mentioned earlier up the page, together with his diesel list, goes quite some way towards the total list.

Railways Illustrated (?) carried the list of Class 50s known to have traversed the hallowed metals, sometime last year.

The Six Bells Jct website details all special trains known to have used the WR, so much of the more exotic traction can be pinpointed there.

I don't suppose Kenneth would say his list is the definitive one yet as he keeps adding to it but it must be getting very close. As a matter of interest, the following are the Jubilees known to have been seen on the WR (i don't know where I got "over 25" from before because I make it 22 now):-

45555 Quebec 45563 Australia 45588 Kashmir 45590 Travancore

45601 British Guiana 45604 Ceylon 45630 Swaziland 45640 Frobisher

45661 Vernon 45679 Armada 45691 Orion 45696 Arethusa

45697 Achilles 45701 Conqueror 45704 Leviathan 45716 Swiftsure

45718 Dreadnought 45728 Defiance 45729 Furious 45736 Phoenix

45738 Samson 45741 Leinster

Bill

On the basis that 50s were far scarcer and I've acquired a pair, that total indicates a Jub will make it to my eventual roster. A class I know precious little about. Need to research, but am guessing these will have been Kingmoor or Holbeck locos...

Guest Max Stafford

Only the first eight or so are modellable based on available RTR at present if you discount the old split-frame Jube.

Dave.

Sixbellsjunction site says the engine on the SLS Scottish Rambler No.2 from Hawick to Carlisle on that date was 60041. 45588 came on at Carlisle and went to Stranraer. (If you enlarge that picture, is that a Witte deflector on the smokebox?) Anyway - post#14 says 45588 did work on the WR, so you're OK.

Archived