Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Chip burnout with Gaugemaster Prodigy advance

Jamiel

Hi

Has anyone else had any problems with chips burning out/dying?

I use a Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance, and have had a few locos sitting around my layout as it is built. Yesterday I had about my third or fourth loco stop working, a pre chipped Bachmann Jubilee.

I had a Bachmann Standard 2-6-0 Mogul die at some point (it didn't work when I tried it after being stored for a while), also factory fitted.

Both were second hand, one from a friend at my local club, the other Ebay, so are probably chips factory fitted several years ago.

I haven't had any problems with TCS chips which I tend to fit. I did have a Hornby chip I hard wired to a Bachmann WD just go up in smoke when I switched it on, and I have a J94 that has died with a hard wired chip as the likely candidate too.

I haven't had any problems with locos bought new in the last three years.

Is the power level of the Gaugemaster too much for Hornby and Bachmann chip more than three years old?

Solutions?

Well, replace chips when locos stop working, not ideal.

Don't buy any pre chipped locos second hand.

Perhaps when I lay the fiddle yard I could have the majority of the locos stored in a section that only has power switched on only when ready to run through to the layout, so the chips don't not have long periods of power through them while the loco is idle.

I know different chips have different power ratings, and perhaps some research into the ampage of various generations of chips, the difference between the manufacturers standards, and also the power ratings of different controllers. I understand that manufacturers would say that the chip will work fine with their own controller. Perhaps I am expecting a level of standardisation that has not yet, or may never, happen with DCC.

I still am very happy with DCC, but if chips only have short lifespans, then I want to preserve the chips and locos as best I can.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I use a ZTC511 and set to put 16Volts on the track. I've probably got an average of 20 locos sitting in my fiddle yard and on other parts of my layout at any one time, some not moving for ages (weeks), and I've never had a decoder burn out. Theres a mixture of ZTC, Lenz, Digitrax, Hornby, Bachmann and TCS decoders. You shouldnt have to have a loco yard thats isolated.

Are you sure the decoders are burning out and have not just had a CV corrupted by a current spike. That is something that some older generation decoders suffered from. Try a decoder reset, and then see if they respond to address 3.

• RMweb Gold

I've been using the Gaugemaster Prodigy for about 6 years, with intensive use on a permanent layout for the last couple of years. I also have a mix of factory fitted, user-fitted and hardwired decoders. The only one I've had fail on me was a TCS decoder which stopped working abruptly in the middle of a running session, but I think that was a TCS fault rather than anything to do with the Prodigy.

Thanks for the replies.

I will try a reset on the Jubille before I get any swrewdrivers out to get at the chip.

I still have the chip from the Standard Mogul as well, which I could plug into a new loco and try again.

The Hornby chip in the Bachmann WD was definitely a burn out, as it was in the open being tested, and when I put the power on smoke started to rise from the chip.

(Nice icon Barry, I'm a fan too, saw them a few times, but only in the 90's & 2000's)

Hi

I use a PA and so far in the five or so years I have had mine I haven't had a decoder burn out.

I use various makes of decoders too - Hornby, Bachmann, ESU loksound, TCS, DCC Concepts and Lenz plus a couple of other decoders I imported from USA.

I did get the occasional Bachmann reset itself to address 3 when a short occurred on the layout, but since I fitted Bus Filters and sectioned the layout and fitted 12 volt 21 watt car lamps in series with each sections feed (acting as Current limiters) I haven't noticed this occurring.

One question about the chip resets, would these make the loco dead when powered by an old fashioned CDC controller? I have tested the dead locos with both two wires to the wheels, and on the DC layout at Leeds MRS, and will take the Jubille there this week.

The limiting of the current is a good idea.

Like so many things with this hobby, it is a constant learning curve, but that makes it have new challenges and rewards.

Thanks again for the replies.

Jamie

I have had similar with Bachmann 8 and 21 pin decoders and a Hornby Elite. A couple of resets to 3 which is easy sorted but a part blown 21pin decoder. Currently have a 21pin one which will only run in reverse and will replace with something more robust. Any suggestions for sensible money.

• RMweb Gold

Just throwing this out in case it's of use, but I've had at least two cases in recent months of decoders resetting to address 0100 . No idea why - if it happens again I'll have a better idea - but if all else fails and you can't read back the current address, might be worth trying.

I've had a factory fitted ESU loksound in a Hornby Black 5 burn out but don't know whether it was the fault of the Advance or the chip itself. Fortunately the loco was still under warranty otherwise it would have been costly.

I still worry about the way the Advance keeps applying bursts of power in the event of a short circuit. Anyone else have concerns with this?

Just remembered, I did once have a loco refuse to move after it had been sitting idle for a few weeks. It was fitted with a ZTC214 (which is the Zero1 compatible decoder and is a much older design). When I investigated, I found that CV3 (acceleration rate) had got set to 255 (it had been 8 ), which means it would have taken all year to move. I changed it back to 8 and the loco worked as normal, and I've had no more problems.

One other thing, I endorse what Brian Lambert has said above re : fitting of DCC Bus Filters. Strange problems just dissappear.

Archived