Haymarket 64B

landscapes

• RMweb Gold

Thanks David for your kind comment, now all you have to do is paint all of those lovely Pacifics RED !!!😆😆, sorry Sir Nigel....I'm sure he would be well chuffed looking at your wonderful creation.

Rgds.....Mike

• Thanks 1

Hi

Todays photo shows two home based Peppercorn A2's standing outside the main shed building.

60529 Pearl Diver and 60537 Bachelors Button, Both are Bachmann RTR models with additional detailing and weathered.

Regards

David

60529_IMG_9203B.jpg

• Like 14

Hi

A few photo showing locomotives standing on Haymarket's turntable.

I had a problem yesterday the pivot head release arm on my tripod sheared off so my Tripod is out of use until a replacement arm can be found.

This makes it very difficult to obtain layout photos without putting the camera on the actual baseboard itself.

And that in-turn reduces the opportunity to obtain a series of the same photo at different focal lengths for photo stacking purposes.

Regards

David

60031_IMG_9189B.jpg

60501_IMG_9229B.jpg

• Like 17

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Great to have a working tripod again.

Away from the Pacific's we have Class D11/2 62690 "The Lady of the Lake" approaching the turntable.

This is a standard RTR Bachmann Model, in my opinion absolutely superb in every way.

Regards

David

62690_IMG_9334B.jpg

Edited by landscapes
spelling
  • Like 15

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Its been a few weeks now since my last post, so rather than show more locomotive photos I thought I would show some detailing to the actual layout itself.

The photo enclosed shows the inspection pits located outside the eastern elevation of the main shed building and these continue right through the shed building itself on all eight roads, although there was a break in the inspection pit on road No7.

Originally the external pits were about 50mm longer than sown on the enclosed photo but they extended over a baseboard joint which made it very difficult to construct and look right so I reduce them to stop just short of the baseboard edge.

I did consider buying ready made inspection pits but due to the cost as I would have required about 32 in total and at around £10 per pit I decided to scratch build them instead.

They were formed by cutting a grove in the 8mm thick plywood baseboard top then lining both sides and the pit floor in black Plasticard which was painted and weathered.

Regards

David

IMG_9397.jpg

• Like 17

A few more photo of Pacific's taken around the MPD at Haymarket.

Spot the difference in locomotive  cleaning between York MPD and Haymarket MPD

Regards

David

60011_IMG_9364B_edited-1.jpg

60501_IMG_9414B_edited-1.jpg

Edited by landscapes
Additional Text
  • Like 17

3 hours ago, landscapes said:

Two new photos today

The first photo is a passing view of what I would hope Haymarket MPD might look like from a passing train looking back across the turntable.

The second photo is A2/3 60519 Honeyway standing below the large water tank that supplied the whole MPD.

This structure was one I scratch built from archive photos and information kindly sent to me from other RMweb members.

The large coaling tower is a standard Bachmann version which I have altered and added additional detailing to resemble the one at Haymarket as close as I could get without actually scratch building it.

Regards

David

60031_IMG_9465B_edited-1.jpg

60519_IMG_9500B_edited-1.jpg

Excellent stuff , David , your layout is looking more & more realistic as work progresses .

Best wishes ,

Ray .

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, landscapes said:

Two new photos today

The first photo is a passing view of what I would hope Haymarket MPD might look like from a passing train looking back across the turntable.

The second photo is A2/3 60519 Honeyway standing below the large water tank that supplied the whole MPD.

This structure was one I scratch built from archive photos and information kindly sent to me from other RMweb members.

The large coaling tower is a standard Bachmann version which I have altered and added additional detailing to resemble the one at Haymarket as close as I could get without actually scratch building it.

Regards

David

60031_IMG_9465B_edited-1.jpg

60519_IMG_9500B_edited-1.jpg

Splendid work David,

And you say you can't build locos...............

With the skills you possess, they'd be a doddle. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Splendid work David,

And you say you can't build locos...............

With the skills you possess, they'd be a doddle. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Thank you Tony

For you kind comments, if only. I’m absolutely fine working with plastics, card and wood but when it comes to soldering and metal work I’m like a ploughman at a knitting convention.

I just cannot seem to get my head around it and the thought of making up valve gear just gives me the shivers.

For now I’m happy just admiring the work you do.

Regards

David

• Friendly/supportive 1

43 minutes ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Nothing wrong with building 'Plastic' bodies for loco.

manna

Hi manna

I agree absolutely nothing wrong with plastic bodies, just not sure on card and wood. 😆

Regards

David

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Double headed locomotives leaving Haymarket MPD for Edinburgh Waverley station was not uncommon sometimes I have read three locomotives could be seen leaving the MPD all coupled together then uncouple for the respective trains at Waverley station.

Here we see A4 60009 Union of South Africa coupled to A2/3 60519 Honeyway running past the shed at Haymarket each will take south bound expresses from Waverley.

While in the shed loop waiting to leave is A3 60093 Coronach coupled to A2 60529 Pearl Diver.

Coronach will work back to Carlisle while Pearl Diver will take a train North.

three models are Hornby RTR weathered and added detailing while the fourth is a Bachmann RTR A2.

I think the repainted green livery to the A2/3 matches in quite well with the other models.

Regards

David 

60009_IMG_9569B.jpg

Edited by landscapes
spelling
  • Like 13
  • Agree 1

A different view looking at the Water tank and coaling tower at Haymarket from the opposite direction.

This view is rather difficult to obtain as I am relying on natural daylight from the window rather than the LED lights I have ceiling mounted above the layout.

Anyway I thought I would post it all the same with A4 60017 Silver Fox in view, a Hornby RTR.

Regards

David

60017_IMG_9650B.jpg

• Like 17

On 08/07/2022 at 23:44, landscapes said:

I think the repainted green livery to the A2/3 matches in quite well with the other models.

Regards

David 

Hi David,

Which loco. did you use to get the streamlined dome/rimless chimney combination? Lovely set of models.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

2 hours ago, 45568 said:

Hi David,

Which loco. did you use to get the streamlined dome/rimless chimney combination? Lovely set of models.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Hi Peter

Thank you, The loco used  was one of the new Hornby A2/3’s 60523 Sun Castle, I already had a rimless chimney I had removed previously from a Hornby A2/2.

The existing double chimneys of most of the Hornby Pacific’s come off very easy.

I also repainted their entire loco body and tender sides using a Brunswick Green diluted wash and relined both loco and tender using Fox Transferes.

Without going over the livery debate on the new Hornby Thompson’s again, we really should not have to do this type of alteration on a model costing close to £200.00.

Thanks for your reply.

Regards

David

2 hours ago, 45568 said:

Hi David,

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Thanks 1

Today A4 60017 Silver Fox has been turned on the turntable and is now making it's way to Waverley Station in the opposite direction via the main running lines for some reason to head south and home to Kings Cross.

Looking at the the previous photo I noticed that the cylinder drain cock pipes were pointing upwards at an angle so I have now removed and repositioned them plus a bit of weathering, I'm more happy with them now.

Regards

David

60017_IMG_9675B.jpg

Edited by landscapes
spelling
  • Like 9

Haymarket based V1 Class No 67610 passes the Motive power Depot with ECS while A3 60093 Coronach waits in the spur ready to leave for Waverley Station.

Haymarket is a MPD layout but I have a few coaches so I thought I would put them on the layout just for some added detail.

Regards

David

67610_IMG_9698B.jpg

• Like 10