Haymarket 64B

landscapes

We have A4 60031 resting on Haymarket MPD.

In the foreground is one of the new 3D printed wheel barrows I recently purchased, even close up in my opinion they do look very good.

David

60031_IMG_0422B.jpg

Edited by landscapes
Additional information
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, landscapes said:

Class J36 65311 Haig is about to be turned on Haymarket's turntable.

This is a Hornby RTR Class J36.

Regards

David

65311_IMG_0407B.jpg

I have to say all of your locos look absolutely superb, and beautifully weathered.  But I'm also struck by how good the trackwork looks.  Makes me realise that I was much too hamfisted with the rust acrylic when I painted mine!  Would you mind sharing how you painted it?  Thanks.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Graham T said:

I have to say all of your locos look absolutely superb, and beautifully weathered.  But I'm also struck by how good the trackwork looks.  Makes me realise that I was much too hamfisted with the rust acrylic when I painted mine!  Would you mind sharing how you painted it?  Thanks.

Hi

Thank you for your very kind comments.

All the track-work is hand built C&L Finescale bull head rail code 75, the Late Norman Saunders hand built all the point work for me and I built all the remaining track-work.

I used RailMatch weathering spray cans Ref 1402 Frame Dirt and 1403 Roof Dirt sprayed in various quantities along the track sections before fixing to the baseboards and then pick out the brass fish plates and rail chairs using a combination of orange paints lightly dry brushed on.

The only comment I will add is on the layout the colours look fine in close up photography they can look a little on the bright side, but easily toned down with a short burst using the weathering spray cans.

Hope that helps

Regards

David

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi

This photo may have to be artistic licence as I am not sure that any members of the K1 Class ever got to Haymarket MPD, I have not seen any photo to back this up.

I like the locomotive design and purchased the model as soon as Hornby released it.

I produced this photo as a member of a model railway group I am on in Facebook ask me for details on how I converted a standard Peco turntable so I thought I would post the photo here as well.

This is a straight out of the box K1 Class which I have heavily Weathered.

Regards

David

62024_IMG_0609B.jpg

• Like 16

7 hours ago, landscapes said:

This photo may have to be artistic licence as I am not sure that any members of the K1 Class ever got to Haymarket MPD, I have not seen any photo to back this up.

I don’t think Haymarket ever had any allocated. However, Eastfield had several at various times and it wouldn’t be too much of a stretch to think one or more of those would have turned up in Edinburgh.

There’s also a possibility that some would have gone past Haymarket. For example 62011 and 62012 were stored through much of 1962 at Fort William shed, after the West Highland line was dieselised. Eventually, they were transferred to Alnmouth. Depending on their route through Edinburgh, they could have passed Haymarket.

Sorry, no photos though.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pH said:

I don’t think Haymarket ever had any allocated. However, Eastfield had several at various times and it wouldn’t be too much of a stretch to think one or more of those would have turned up in Edinburgh.

There’s also a possibility that some would have gone past Haymarket. For example 62011 and 62012 were stored through much of 1962 at Fort William shed, after the West Highland line was dieselised. Eventually, they were transferred to Alnmouth. Depending on their route through Edinburgh, they could have passed Haymarket.

Sorry, no photos though.

Hi

Thank you for that information, I agree there may have been an occasion when a member of the class passed by Haymarket.

I will keep looking for the possibility of a photo of a K1 class member on Haymarket you never know.

Many years ago back in 1964 I visited Willesden MPD 1A and there sitting at the front of the shed was B1 class 61003 Gazelle     How that got there I will never know so there may have been a rare occasion of a K1 at Haymarket.

In the 1958/9 the period I am modelling there was 5 members of the class shedded at Scotland at Fort William MPD.

Regards

David

I had forgotten about this - some English K1s were shopped in the Glasgow works after English works stopped handling steam engines. I saw 62067 of Blyth at Gourock on 14 June 1966, presumably on a running-on turn after works attention. I would think it would have travelled to and from Glasgow through Edinburgh. A bit late for your time period, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pH said:

This site:

https://www.lner.info/locos/K/k1thompson.php

says:

”Many of the NE K1s would often be seen as far north as Edinburgh”

(Sorry for the very disjointed reply - I keep remembering other references.)

Please do not apologise I really appreciate your help and you taking the time to provide some valuable information which is of great help to me.

Regards

David

Morning

About a week ago I posted a photo of A4 60031 Golden Plover showing a close up of the main shed building so I thought I would try it again with different locomotives.

It's one of the views I quite like.

Regards

David

60501_IMG_0644B.jpg

Edited by landscapes
spelling
  • Like 12

26 minutes ago, Graham T said:

By the way, it might just be my eyes, but the con rod on 60501looks a bit odd between the second and third driving wheels; looks as if it isn't quite parallel with the rail?

Hi

your eyes are fine, the rod is at a slight angle as it rotates with the wheels I assume.

if I move the loco forward about four inches then the rod is parallel with the rail.

Regards

David

image.jpg.69efd7e122aa4a7533729921ffcb40a6.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, landscapes said:

if I move the loco forward about four inches then the rod is parallel with the rail.

Good morning David,

Weathering on 60501 looks really good as do all your locomotives. Most proprietary steam locomotives have a lot of clearance between connecting rod and crankpin hence the conrod in relation to the wheel (and rail) can look a little odd at times.

I really like the views of the shed front and the detail - I must get some of the wheelbarrows! My only suggestion is that perhaps ash piles (even if enginemen should not drop loco fires in front of the shed) and more "stuff" - kindling for example, might improve the view? Having said that, my recollection of Haymarket is a bit hazy now, but you may know that dropping the fire was tightly controlled at this shed and the shed foreman were hard nuts!

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1

By the way, it might just be my eyes, but the con rod on 60501looks a bit odd between the second and third driving wheels; looks as if it isn't quite parallel with the rail?

Hi Graham

Following your comment which I do appreciate I have had a look at 60501 again the rod in question is partly hidden behind the remaining motion so I cannot get a clear view.

in the stationary position when I took the first photo you are correct the rod is at a slight angle and as I said when moved forward a few inches it’s parallel with the rails.

At present I am not running locomotives as I am have digital chips fitted to them but I did put 60501 on a rolling road and it runs perfect at all speeds forward and reverse.

So hopefully there is no defect on the motion when it was manufactured.

Regards

David

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Good morning David,

Weathering on 60501 looks really good as do all your locomotives. Most proprietary steam locomotives have a lot of clearance between connecting rod and crankpin hence the conrod in relation to the wheel (and rail) can look a little odd at times.

I really like the views of the shed front and the detail - I must get some of the wheelbarrows! My only suggestion is that perhaps ash piles (even if enginemen should not drop loco fires in front of the shed) and more "stuff" - kindling for example, might improve the view? Having said that, my recollection of Haymarket is a bit hazy now, but you may know that dropping the fire was tightly controlled at this shed and the shed foreman were hard nuts!

Kind regards,

Richard B

Good morning Richard

Thank you for your kind comments.

There is still a lot of scenic work to do on the layout especially around the yards and shed inspection pits but at present locos are being fitted with digital decoders.

I remember Tony Wrights comment on his Little Bytham video when he said you must get all the electrical works fully completed and working before any scenic works to the trackwork.

Regarding Haymarket you are right they had a procedure for dropping the fires and that was not done on the shed front but down the back of the MPD past the coal tower where the Ash Pits were.

I will be adding more scenics and figures in due course as I fully agree with your comments they will improve the photos.

Regards

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 30368 said:

Good morning David,

Kind regards,

Richard B

The west end of the Shed was where the ash piles could be found. The locos, when fully prepared, left the Shed at the east end for their booked  duties and as you remark it was all tightly controlled!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, landscapes said:

Hi Graham

Following your comment which I do appreciate I have had a look at 60501 again the rod in question is partly hidden behind the remaining motion so I cannot get a clear view.

in the stationary position when I took the first photo you are correct the rod is at a slight angle and as I said when moved forward a few inches it’s parallel with the rails.

At present I am not running locomotives as I am have digital chips fitted to them but I did put 60501 on a rolling road and it runs perfect at all speeds forward and reverse.

So hopefully there is no defect on the motion when it was manufactured.

Regards

David

Thanks David.  I wasn't being picky - I think all your locos look great (except for the wrong livery thing...)  Just wanted to give you a heads-up in case a pin had come loose or something like that.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, pH said:

Sorry, no photos though.

No K1s were ever based there and were very rare in Edinburgh. When going south from the west they would have gone round the Suburban line to avoid going through The Waverley Station which was too busy for through freight traffic thus avoiding going past 64B. The K1s in the north east of England were based at Blaydon whose freight work mainly went west and south as the northern freight turns would have been from either Heaton or Gateshead locos..

However, as you note still no photos of them here!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Thanks David.  I wasn't being picky - I think all your locos look great (except for the wrong livery thing...)  Just wanted to give you a heads-up in case a pin had come loose or something like that.

Hi Graham

I never for one moment thought you were being picky, you made a good point and that’s why I put the A2/2 on the rolling road just to make sure all was OK.

Regards

David

• Like 2