Haymarket 64B

landscapes

I was recently watching one of my favourite films “The Lady Killers” a Fabulous Ealing dark comedy.

One scene shows V3 class No 67600 arriving at Kings Cross Station with a train from Cambridge according to the station announcer in the film.

I looked up 67600 and it’s first and last shed allocations was Eastfield Glasgow, if that’s the case I wonder what it was doing in London so far from Glasgow when the film was made in 1955 or was it relocated away from Eastfield sometime in its working life.

David

2 hours ago, Darryl Tooley said:

The engine has electric lights (underneath the lamps) which I don't think any of the V1s  had, so it is probably L1 No 67800, a KX engine from building until 1956.

D

Hi Darryl

I have had another look at the film and your spot on the locomotive is 67800

Many thanks for clearing that up.

Regards

David

• Like 2

Hi

This time we have K1 Class 62024 passing the shed, I can find no definite proof that a member of this class was ever seen on Haymarket MPD, but again I love the model and it's the closest I can get to a K4 Class until one day hopefully they may produce one in RTR.

This is a standard Hornby RTR model with additional detailing and weathering added, this time I went for a more heavy weathering.

62024 spent it's entire life in the Newcastle area being shedded at both Gateshead and Blaydon MPD's so who knows it may have found it's way up to Edinburgh?

Regards

David

62024_IMG_2205B.jpg

• Like 18

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

It's been a while since my last post, a view across the East yard shows A2/3 60511 Airborne is passing home based A4 60031 Golden Plover arriving on shed.

A2/3 Bachmann/G King Conversion and the A4 RTR Hornby.

Regards

David

60511_IMG_2229B.jpg

• Like 18

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi

Its been quite a while since my last post and as I have just posted a photo on another thread relating to Hornby's new A2/2's and A2/3's I thought I would post the photo here as well.

Plus another Thompson design B1 61243 Sir Harold Mitchell.

All Locos are RTR Hornby models.

Regards

David60519_IMG_2298B2.jpg.f9014ec0e3b251fb6b99a5bd4d99a7cd.jpg

61243_IMG_2315BB2.jpg

• Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

A bit of a disaster today, my Canon G12 camera which I have used for some time now has packed up.

The lens will not retract and I have a fault on the screen saying "Lens fault camera will shut down and restart, but it doesn't.

I'm reluctant to get it repaired as my local camera shop want £30.00 just to send it off for an inspection and a quotation for what ever repair is required.

I purchased the camera second hand on EBay some time ago, its a great shame as you can focus down to around 2 inches.

The first photo below was one taken with the G12 before it broke and the second photo is taken with a Canon G1X which has a much better sensor but not the low focusing qualities of the G12.

Regards

David

60501_IMG_2381B.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

16 minutes ago, micklner said:

Check Battery connections and a different battery ?

Good luck

Hi Mick

I know its not the battery, as the camera starts up ok then I get a high pitched noise and the lens doesn't move at all, it’s stuck in the open position then the camera just shuts down.

I managed to get into the menu and tried to reset the cameras settings but it doesn’t respond.

Thanks anyway for your suggestion.

Regards

David

• Like 1

Before you do anything with the camera:

I had a Panasonic Lumix do the exact same thing.

Reading online, I was advised to hold the camera about 30cm above a hard surface with something like a cutting mat on the surface.

Hold the camera lens uppermost and drop it so it falls back first!

It worked.

Nothing ventured etc.

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi

These are two of the last photos I took with the Canon G12 before it packed up.

Both have been focus stacked with some new software I have on a 30 day free trial.

Incidentally the Clan Class locomotive is Hornby RTR 72005 Clan Macgregor which had some kind of tablet apparatus on it's cab side and Hornby decided to just put a raised lump on the cab to represent this and this totally distorted the cab side factory applied numbers.

This had been annoying me for some time so I took the opportunity to remove the raised plastic section and re-apply new cab-side numbers using Fox Transfers which I think is an improvement.

Regards

David

72005_IMG_2352BB.jpg

72005_IMG_2367BB.jpg

Edited by landscapes
Additional photo
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

And this photo is taken with my Canon G1X which I have had for some time and has also been focus stacked using the same software.

The colours to this photo are more true than those taken with the G12, if I can over come the focusing issue using focus stacking I may stick with this camera.

Regards

David

60510_IMG_0049B.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Looks amazing. Have spent a bit of time reading this thread tonight from the start.

I own a 64b plaque that was fitted to 60031 Golden Plover - my uncle owned one of the nameplates the smokebox number until he sold it a good few years ago.

He sadly passed recently and was left to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ian_T said:

Looks amazing. Have spent a bit of time reading this thread tonight from the start.

I own a 64b plaque that was fitted to 60031 Golden Plover - my uncle owned one of the nameplates the smokebox number until he sold it a good few years ago.

He sadly passed recently and was left to me.

Hi Ian

Sorry to hear about your uncle, was he an ex railwayman?

Many of the earlier photos relating to the making of Haymarket which is still far from finished was lost when the RMWeb system crashed a few years ago.

But thanks to the hard work of Andy York and the team so much of the system was retrieved.

Railway memorabilia is big business so I wonder how much an A4 nameplate line Golden Plover is worth now?

indecently 60031 was one of 11 A4’s that eluded me back in my trainspotting days.

Thank you for your reply.

Regards

David 

• Like 3

On 15/04/2023 at 08:04, JeffP said:

Before you do anything with the camera:

I had a Panasonic Lumix do the exact same thing.

Reading online, I was advised to hold the camera about 30cm above a hard surface with something like a cutting mat on the surface.

Hold the camera lens uppermost and drop it so it falls back first!

It worked.

Nothing ventured etc.

Hi JeffP

I gave it a try but no luck.

Thanks for the tip anyway.

Regards

David

• Like 1

Class A2/1 60510 Robert the Bruce backs off the turntable to go down to the ash pits.

This is a PDK ex Crownline kit built for me about 9 years ago, with a few additional modifications added by me.

This started out as 60509 Waverley, I changed it's identity a few years ago.

Regards

David

60510_IMG_2400B.jpg

Edited by landscapes
Additional Info
  • Like 11

On 18/04/2023 at 07:34, landscapes said:

Hi Ian

Sorry to hear about your uncle, was he an ex railwayman?

Many of the earlier photos relating to the making of Haymarket which is still far from finished was lost when the RMWeb system crashed a few years ago.

But thanks to the hard work of Andy York and the team so much of the system was retrieved.

Railway memorabilia is big business so I wonder how much an A4 nameplate line Golden Plover is worth now?

indecently 60031 was one of 11 A4’s that eluded me back in my trainspotting days.

Thank you for your reply.

Regards

David 

Hi, David no he wasn't - he was just an avid train fan mainly GWR and I got bought up with the love of it all

He bought the smokebox and plate and plaque combined for I think £8000 way back I think in the early 80's.  When he sold them to fund his daughters house purchase it went to auction in Sheffield and he realized a value of £31000 (plaque wasn't sold obviously)

I mangaed to track down that last year the nameplate was resold (unsure about the smokebox number) for £48,000!!!!!

• Like 3

Hi

The last photo of A2/160510 Robert the Bruce is seen on the turntable,

I am starting to get use to using the Canon G1X, it does produce a much better photo than the G12 but close focusing is an issue.

Regards

David

60510_IMG_0069B.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi

One off and one on, two Haymarket based A4's No 60009 Union of South Africa prepares to leave the MPD and run down to Waverley Station while 60011 Empire of India having arrive backs of the turntable past the shed down to the Ash pits.

Both Hornby RTR A4's with additional detailing, 60009 was renamed and numbered by me having started out as 60031 Golden Plover.

I was not prepared to pay the ridiculous prices being asked for the Hornby Commonwealth 60009 that was released some time ago with the other four models.

Regards

David

60009_IMG_0086B.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Using new focus stacking software I thought I would try the same process but using my Apple IPhone.

The quality is not a good as a canon camera but by turning the IPhone upside down it's produced an interesting low angle photo that I cannot achieve with my camera, and the focus stacking works as well.

Regards

David

60009 copy.jpg

• Like 15