Cutting brass sections

I'm just about to make a shopping list of the brass sections that I will need for the under-frame of the Bridgnorth carriages but have realised that I don't know how to cut them to size without destroying the bits. what method and tools do I need? I should not have to bend any of the bits.

I would also like to form the rivet detail, is there a commercial 'drop hammer' or do I have to make one?

Advice or pointers to appropriate sections appreciated.

I'm just about to make a shopping list of the brass sections that I will need for the under-frame of the Bridgnorth carriages but have realised that I don't know how to cut them to size without destroying the bits. what method and tools do I need? I should not have to bend any of the bits.

I would also like to form the rivet detail, is there a commercial 'drop hammer' or do I have to make one?

Advice or pointers to appropriate sections appreciated.

For cutting I would suggest a piercing saw with fine (6/0) good quality blades.

For embossing rivets in brass section I would recommend a GW rivet press. Not cheap but very good.

There is a trick that jewellers use when cutting thin metal with a piercing saw. That is to arrange the metal so that it is fully supported by the bench pin while cutting this means that the saw will cut into the bench pin under the metal. The same effect can be arranged on brass sections by taping in strips of wood or plasicticard into the hollows of the sections.

The same effect can be arranged on brass sections by taping in strips of wood or plasicticard into the hollows of the sections.

The brass tube I've just bought has an ID the same as the diameter of a cocktail stick which is handy! And a short piece of this combo will telescope into the next bigger size for cutting that.

Archived