Somewhere on the Waverley?

Guest tony graham

Guest tony graham

I have two boards in the Man Shed awaiting inspiration for a small layout, 10ft x 2ft 6 in total....

Just wondering what and where I should model...

Answers on a postcard to....

Oh and I should say it's got to be in N gauge so that gives me a bit more scope.

Max S, your more than welcome to lend a hand....

There has already been a lovely N Gauge model of Riddings Junction (Riddings Junction 1964)I saw this layout at Warley but didn't realise how long ago it was, I hope it still exists. : -

http://www.eastneuk.btinternet.co.uk/Riddings.html

However nothing wrong with choosing the same location and it could possibly be done in a different timeframe and made to fit the available space you have. If you did it after the Langholm Branch had closed to passengers you could still depict the Langholm Branch freight which (latterly Class 20 hauled) continued until 1967 I think.

For me this layout was inspirational and encouraged me to think Waverley Route for my own layouts (Riccarton Junction which never got past tacklaying and is now no more and Whitrope Siding which I fitted on 7ft by 2ft with a bit of modelling licence and on which I currently play trains). Riccarton may rise again, but with medium term plans including a house move not at the moment sadly.

Roy

Guest Max Stafford

And currently being re-built to include the camp sidings. Planned length in the region of 16m, the equivalent of 3/4 miles with minimal compression

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

I've never sseen a model of Gorebridge before?

Spotty dog for tight curvature it being 27 chains at the lowest point, the station site and platforms were on the level and the gradient rose and fell either side at 1:70.

Nice size yard to and rising ground to the rear.

All in all very model-able.

Mac.

And currently being re-built to include the camp sidings.

...as a row of tents?

Gorebridge is a ruddy good shout, you get Station Road and Lady Brae as ready scenic breaks too, if you're that way inclined.

• RMweb Gold

You can run a bit further to the north as well as the track was in a cutting alongside the Arniston Engine branch/Up longlye.

With enough room or subtle compression the layout would form a nice reverse curve with viewing side being on/from the low ground.

Thats maybe a bit much for Colin McRae's requirements but I'm surprised no MRC/MRS's have looked at it.

As I said, 'very model-able'.

Colin McRae LOL, any more record-breaking white-knuckle rides from the summit to the Holm lately, boys?

Arniston - that would make a lovely industrial backdrop too. And a wee bit further you've the A7 beneath at Shank Bridge.

Guest tony graham

Colin McRae LOL, any more record-breaking white-knuckle rides from the summit to the Holm lately, boys?

Arniston - that would make a lovely industrial backdrop too. And a wee bit further you've the A7 beneath at Shank Bridge.

Not with the new motor, not even attempting the track bed with this one.

• RMweb Gold

Have diagrams?

Mate you're talking to me!!!!

At 2mm 1:148/1:152 (up to you), thats just over a quarter mile scale.

Do bare in mind the curve as distance travelled is not equal to straight line distance.

Now, the basics:

2 natural scenic breaks as the good man Chard suggests.

Curvature is 24, 27, 49, 36 chains through the modelled (suggested) area.

Platforms and yard on the level as they are in reality.

A host of available information both still existing and recorded for posterity

Signalling diagrams available,

Track plans available,

Fellow modellers available locally, although I always like to work on my own with my own projects, you may feel the same?

And crucially too me at least, it hasn't been done and would fit your available space.....

So would any other station but not with quite the same scenic parameters, natural break points etc.

Mate its your model, you only asked for suggestions and we will always be here with more when required.

If you don't do it I hope someone will!

Now there's a challenge to anyone.

Ttfn,

Mac.

One for Chard, D89 HAC powering south against the bank, 10 on with 1M88 through Gorebridge? Magic.....

Have diagrams?

Mate you're talking to me!!!!

One for Chard, D89 HAC powering south against the bank, 10 on with 1M88 through Gorebridge? Magic.....

Everybody's got a dealer on speed-dial... :angel:

Archived