Bachmann - Prince Albert runs to Nottingham Victoria a new D11/1

Graham_Muz

Larry - did you do the colouring of the picture on the cover of the foxline book?

Yes. It was a time when my colour-conversions were popular because publishers preferred colour covers on their monochrome albums. They were early days and todays technology allows one to get great publishable results from old colour trannies at only a fraction of the cost of my time.

Simon, thanks for your posting. The curly six smokebox number plates issue is intriguing, as it appears to have carried it most of its BR life, and so I wonder how the straight six plate came to be made and carried in 1955. The stuff of railway enthusiasm...

Well the arrival of these beasties is going to cost me...

Mind it also means I'll have to pester a well know coach maker to see if his GCR temptations are ready yet.

That is as long I still have a b?=#~y job!!!

• RMweb Premium

Immingham's locos went to the CLC in late 1950, and the whole class stayed there until late '53, though most of them spent lond periods in store. 62660/6/7 came to Lincoln in Nov '53, and were joined by 62663 in 1954, and by 62670 which had had a spell back at Immingham, in 1956. While at Lincoln they worked almost exclusively from St Marks station to Nottingham and Derby on the old LMS line. I can't remember ever seeing one at Central during that time, though I have seen photos of Butler Henderson there, and another one at Grantham.

In 1957 all of Lincoln's engines went to Darnall. There they mainly worked in summer and were stored through the winter. A lot of thier work was on the old GC line, but they also worked Sheffield Victoria- Lincoln trains, thus becoming regular sights at Central at last. I often travelled behind one to and from Retford. In 1958 the CLC engines also moved to Darnall, and during that summer and the next two almost the whole class would turn up at Retford on summer Saturdays working, Manchester/Sheffield - Cleethorpes trains. We local kids got quite a shock when the likes of Ypres and Mons turned up, but that soon wore off when they appeared for the fiftieth time. My recollection is that they never seemed to get cleaned when they came out of store, so each summer they looked more decrepit. I suppose it is a testament to the rugged simplicity of the steam engine that they kept going, most of the time anyway, despite such neglect. 1960 was their swansong.

The chances of seeing one at York in 1950? Slim Tom, very slim. I'll keep looking for that shot of one double heading an excursion with the K5 though. :jester: Late '50's yes - I've seen quite a lot of evidence of them on Sheffield - York services via Pontefract.

There are some good photos of 62663 Prince Albert in Colin Walker's 'Great Central Twilight Finale'. In the book it tells how he had written to the shedmaster at Staveley and the latter had arranged for the loco to have a bit of a clean and a coat of paint on the smokebox and the smokebox number plate and shed plate 38D were picked up in white. Walker then rode the engine (?) or passenger service from Chesterfield to Sheffield and then Leicester. He noted that he had at least 2 footplate rides on the engine (Lucky B or what!!) The engine as photographed on 21st June 1958 looked much as the model in post1, with the same totem and splasher beading/lining(?).

Look forward to getting one of these.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Is there anyone out there who can please tell me if Butler Henderson ever carried this livery/lining (or lack of) combination or would I need to line out the loco body if i do a rename and renumber? Thanks in advance.

Hi Harry, there's a good pic of BH at Darnall shed, Sep 21st 1957 (Steam Memories Sheffield, Keith Pirt, Book Law Pub. isbn:1-899624-95-9) after a visit to Gorton, outshopped in unlined black minus splasher lining. Hope this helps

Cheers Phil

Hi Harry, there's a good pic of BH at Darnall shed, Sep 21st 1957 (Steam Memories Sheffield, Keith Pirt, Book Law Pub. isbn:1-899624-95-9) after a visit to Gorton, outshopped in unlined black minus splasher lining. Hope this helps

Cheers Phil

Thanks, Phil. Much easier to delete the splasher lining than to try to add boiler bands!

Harry

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In light of how good the D11/2 looks I'm looking forward to the D11/1 just wondering if anyone has any evidence that any D11/1s ran with the late crest on the tender? I've seen lined an unlined early crest but never late.

Having just obtained and read the relevant "Yeadon's", he states that no D11/1 ran with the late crest, lined or unlined. All examples ran with 'large early', both lined and unlined, except 62662, turned out in September 1957 lined with 'small early' the only one so treated.

cheers,

Peter c.

Archived