DCC - removal of body "Invalidates Warranty"

Have a Brand New £84.00 worth of Bachmann Class 37, bought from Rails of Sheffield.

After opening, I removed the body in order to fit my DCC Decoder, but the plastic chassis has a crack on one side and is broken on the other.

There is absolutely no doubt that the next handling will break the piece off altogether.

Bearing in mind that this is Brand New, One day old to me, never run.

I have contacted Rails of Sheffield, and they say that:

"removing the body from the chassis invalidates the Manufacturers' warranty. there is no guarantee that it can be replaced. Send a picture and we'll see what the Manufacturer says"

Is this commonly accepted, that removing the body invalidates the warranty?

NERBobpost-6877-0-44276100-1347023209_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I had a Bachy 7F that kept blowing decoders (well 2), all went back to Hattons and were returned with brand new replacements a few days later, no quibble no fuss. That's why they continue to get my business and haven't let me down yet.

I guess you need to convince Bachmann/Rails that the damage wasn't sustained whilst fitting the decoder. I've had to do some repairs to a Hornby B1 due to my heavy handed decoder fitting. So it's easily done.

Neil

• RMweb Premium

If you have to remove the body to fit a decoder, and the loco' is branded as "DCC ready" , I can't see how the warranty can be invalidated. That won't stop manufacturers saying so, but it does seem a bit uncharitable considering how difficult it can be to remove most bodies these days. If they are covering themselves from warranty claims because the body is difficult to remove, and damage ensue, then make it a bit more easy to remove the body from the chassis.

Rob

This is a very interesting area - how many of us have damage a loco just getting it apart to fit a decoder? Locos which are sold as DCC ready should be that and you should not have to spend a lot of time with bits of plastic carefully trying undo plastic origami without breaking it. Has not he manufacturer indirectly indicated that it is acceptable to remove the body by stating that it is DCC readyt!

XF

I've locked the duplicate topic (as it was in the 37 area normal used for prototype stuff) but I would like to copy over and reiterate 'Chard's comments.

Before we go stratospheric on this one in public, I would suggest you ask to speak to a senior member of staff at Rails. They are a reputable retailer with a generally good record of customer service, if comments on this site are a representative barometer. The issue of fitting a DCC part needs to be explored rationally with them. Once that conversation has been had and they have had chance to provide a considered response, including a statement of what they intend to do, I suggest you provide an update on here. Otherwise I think we're in danger of getting more heat than light on the subject as every bar-room paralegal pitches in.

Removal of the body to fit a decoder does not invalidate Bachmann's manufacturer warranty and you would also have protection under the Sale of Goods Act with Rails.

I have not heard of any other reports so it would appear, at this time, to be an isolated incident.

• RMweb Gold

I wouldn't wish to be accused of being some kind of bar-room paralegal so I shall refrain from making any consumer advice(retailer rather than manufacturer) but if the OP is contacting Rails senior management he may like to quote this extract from Bachmann's warranty statement online about DCC. Search under warranty on Bachmann's UK website.

Fitting a decoder per se will not invalidate any warranty on the fitness for purpose of the manufacture

Forget about manufacturer's warranties it's the retailer who is responsible for the supply of goods that are of merchantable quality.

This was clearly damaged when they supplied it to you and therefore they are responsible for providing you with one that isn't damaged (or your money back - your choice actually).

Forget about manufacturer's warranties it's the retailer who is responsible for the supply of goods that are of merchantable quality.

It's not a case of 'forget about them', the importance is that the manufacturer does not use the excuse so the retailer shouldn't use it by proxy; thus assisting the consumers' position under the Sale of Goods Act in such a case. The other important consideration is that the warranty's there if the retailer can't/won't honour their commitment.

I wouldn't wish to be accused of being some kind of bar-room paralegal so I shall refrain from making any consumer advice(retailer rather than manufacturer) but if the OP is contacting Rails senior management he may like to quote this extract from Bachmann's warranty statement online about DCC. Search under warranty on Bachmann's UK website.

Many Thanks Tony; both Retailer & Manufacturer are now aware, so I will wait to see what they do........I said in a previous topic that this item was to alert Decoder fitters to the issue. Andy Y is very good and I'm sure will oversee the issue. It's for a common interest after all. When I get a resolve I'll ask him to lock the topic, as I don't intend for this to land in the "real" paralegal lap!. Thanks for your input. Best Wishes.

Many Thanks Tony; both Retailer & Manufacturer are now aware, so I will wait to see what they do........I said in a previous topic that this item was to alert Decoder fitters to the issue. Andy Y is very good and I'm sure will oversee the issue. It's for a common interest after all. When I get a resolve I'll ask him to lock the topic, as I don't intend for this to land in the "real" paralegal lap!. Thanks for your input. Best Wishes.

Dear All,

As promised, here's a further update.

An important lesson here, as I said, the post was to make others aware:

a. of the problem, and

b. to outline the procedure.

Both the Manufacturer and Retailer were made aware of the issue.

The retailer In this case; Rails of Sheffield has:

i) asked for the product returning to them, (and they will refund my postal charges).

ii) said that a replacement will be sent out when in stock.

The Manufacturer - for peace of mind - confirmed that removing the body for its intended purpose, to fit a decoder, will not invalidate the warranty.

They also stated that they expect the Retailer "discharge their responsibility" under the sale of goods act.

As far as I'm concerned, all areas have been complied with, in the right sequence, and I am satisfied that the end result will be in my favour.

The lesson is not to disturb anything else as soon as a fault becomes apparent, and re-box the goods.

Where possible - record details accurately, take and submit a photograph to those concerned, especially if it's a broken part/damage in transit etc.

A number of thankyous should be recorded here:

Andy Y for guidance and for overseeing the contents of the post.

To Rails of Sheffield for their integral action.

To Bachmann, the manufacturer, for their guidance.

Best Wishes to all, Bob

Moderators, please 'Lock' this topic.

Archived