Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Captain Nick

• RMweb Gold

Hi there.

I have to say mate that you've built a very convincing chunk of limestone hill there. Your work is superb, I'm very impressed, its not the easiest thing in the world to recreate in model form. Very nice indeed mate.

Regards Lez.Z.

I have been messing about on the computer when I should have been doing other things but I couldn't resist it.  This is the 6;30pm stopper from Sheffield to Stafford leaving the short tunnel under 'The Hill' on a balmy summers evening.

post-497-0-30211500-1397147198_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

I have been messing about on the computer when I should have been doing other things but I couldn't resist it.  This is the 6;30pm stopper from Sheffield to Stafford leaving the short tunnel under 'The Hill' on a balmy summers evening.

Nick I could do with a love that pic icon mate, that really sums up Through Limestone Hills to a tee.

Bodge :sungum: P.S. Send us an Ivor Duneys pastie, I can only get a Ginsters around here, hhahah.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nick, those pics just make me long for home. How do you do the dry-stone walls? Like you I am aiming to model part of the Peak Line, but a bit further south. I'll need a few yards of walling, so how did you do it, please?

• RMweb Gold

Nick, I'll echo what others have said, you've captured the look and feel of the Peak to a tee.

Your limestone cuttings, drystone walls and everything else are superb.

This is such a brilliant bit of modelling.

Al.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nick,

I am 'having fun' with scenic creation at Gresley and Wychnor 4mm.  Andy P told me to look up Wormdale.  I worked through from page 1 ... retirement at present is something I can't quite get my head around because I enjoy what I do but it needs to be actively considered and what follows in my missive may well have bearing on that.  Andy P said your scenic skills would 'blow my mind'  He is right!  The patience required to make those walls ... well, also needs patience from the 'management'.  After our next Open Weekend (20th and 21st April) we will think of the quarry end(?) and Andy says he wants that standard ... I'll try.

Great pictures of great scenic work I will look-up Wormdale in future weeks.

Cheers, Peter BB

• Like 1

Actually Bodge The Management makes a damn good pasty though coming from Buxton as I do, I prefer a Holland's pie! (and mushy peas) (oh and thick gravy)

Many thanks for the comment about the dry stone walls etc. They are not as hard to make as you would think. In reality in the Peak District and also in the Yorkshire Dales, the look of them can vary depending on the quality and shape of stone provided to the waller and indeed the time they have been standing together with the  lie of the land. Walls most often follow the contours of the land, often precariously, and it is vary rare that the ground and foundations were prepared beforehand. I have also noticed particular walls in and around Chee Dale that were in almost pristine condition fifty years ago (from photos) but which now require a good deal of attention. My dad was a pretty good dry stone waller and my elder brother still dabbles at it from time to time.

I have a short section to do today so I will try and to a step by step short series of photos. In the meantime, Management says I have to accompany her into town this morning so it will have to be later.

• Like 3

My method of dry stone walling is to first roll up some air dried clay and then make a rough profile of the wall out of that. I then offer it up to the proposed site on the layout where it is bedded in by hand and then allowed to dry. The clay profile is positioned as to whether it is a new wall, all very upright etc., or it has settled down over years and leans this way and that. The next day I get busy with my old set of compasses and begin scribing out the stonework using a stiff paint brush to clear the debris.. When finished I fix it to the layout using grab adhesive and then when that has taken, weather the completed wall. The wall can crack during the drying process but this can be used to advantage especially so if its a long standing structure. In the pictures here, I am using a bit of practice scenery that I made before attempting The Hill. I will eventually use it under the left hand side road bridge off scene so that it will be visible through the arch of the bridge.

post-497-0-89179600-1397483825_thumb.jpg

post-497-0-52629400-1397483855_thumb.jpg

post-497-0-93576800-1397483951_thumb.jpg

post-497-0-98959500-1397483987_thumb.jpg

post-497-0-06628500-1397484568_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi Nick, nice to see this thread back on the top of the forum,,,,, quite rightly!

I really think you've captured the limestone 'hill' and walls superbly .....I've just been out this evening on my bike along the Monsal trail then over the bridleway to Tunstead, I'm sure I saw your 'Hill  and dry stone walls' out there on my route! The Kilns are progressing very nicely as well.

Super modelling.

joe

20140414_182850_zpsfaa1965a.jpg

• Like 5

By gum Joe! That's the very spot from which I took my photos for half the back scene last June. And the very walls I was referring to as being in better knick fifty years ago. I see that the butty wagon is in residence at Topley Pike pull-in. The kilns are on the back burner for a while  until I get a version of the Small Dale crusher going.

• 3 weeks later...

I have not posted anything for the last two weeks as I have been trying to make the three arched bridge that will mark the right hand side of the scenic area. It is supposed to be a mainly limestone structure with some millstone grit around the arches and capping stones etc. The facings are 3mm ply sandwiching the ubiquitous insulation foam. The lower stone work is a Slater's 7mm stone to match the  retaining wall next to the bridge and the rest is random stone hand etched onto filler which has been applied to the ply. Underneath the arch I have used a Scalescene weather red brick  printed onto some yellow textured greeting card A4 paper I found sculling around. This was then fitted to show the skew of the arches. I have had two attempts at painting the structure but I'm not yet happy with it. The brick work will have to be 'sooted' up somewhat with weathering powders.

post-497-0-68757200-1399026095_thumb.jpg

post-497-0-61119800-1399026143_thumb.jpg

post-497-0-60406500-1399026165_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Many thanks for your encouragement, it certainly spurs me on to get things done and to try for the standard I enjoy seeing on others layouts here. Whilst on passage down the M5 from Buxton last Tuesday, Management at the helm, a copy of the latest BRM 'accidentally' fell into my hands whilst filling up at service station and once again I marvelled at Captain Kernow's Engine Wood. It is the sort of modelling which gives me inspiration. I reckon it's time the Captain was promoted to commodore at the very least. Moving on a few pages and there is Andrew P's Trebudoc which is absolutely wonderful so thanks Andy for your continuing support. And of course I must mention Alistair (acg_mr) whose modelling of Bakewell station will be, I'm sure, an article in the modelling press in the near future.

Have a good bank holiday everyone!

Regards

Nick

I was just looking for some photos on the computer this morning and I came across this which may be of interest. Its the summer version of Tidzaboy's picture above. I took it last June on a wet day and I have used it for half my back scene.

post-497-0-58914700-1399197435_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

Hi all. I see that I have not posted anything here since May. This is due to my other commitments which tend to take me away from the railway room. However that said, I have been working on my very first building, Buxton Central Lime Works, which has proved to be not only a steep learning curve but also a lot more detailed than I had initially thought. Having decided I needed to get the rear of the layout done before attempting other parts I put together the bare bones of the BCLW structure last winter but then went on to various other parts of the rear of Wormdale.

I have only photographs of the kilns to work from so the dimensions are estimated at best and guesswork at worst, however I am relatively pleased with the result thus far even though there is still much to do before it is finished and can be 'planted'. Here are some photos and a photo of the original is on this page I think. I have been planning this building for so long now that when I recently was at Topley Pike and looked down at Peak Forest junction, it was almost a shock not to see the kilns in situ as they were until about 1970 when they were demolished.

post-497-0-66479300-1414150177_thumb.jpg

post-497-0-87296000-1414150314_thumb.jpg

post-497-0-40563700-1414150318_thumb.jpg

post-497-0-70712800-1414150320_thumb.jpg

post-497-0-67530500-1414150325_thumb.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 8 months later...

I guess it's quite a long time since I last posted anything. I have been working to finish the lime kilns and associated ramps etc as well as finishing off the gap in my backscene. I have also made a few changes to 'The Hill'. It has taken me a lot longer than I had originally thought. Other things I am committed to have taken me away from the railway room but now I'm back.  Unfortunately I have found that the neglected track is filthy, the points are stiff to say the least and so nothing much moves. Also some connections no longer seem to connect. I now have a break from 'other things' until November so I hope that I can improve matters in Wormdale. A friend and fellow modeller visited yesterday and rebuked me for not actually running locos during the past year. Apparently they need exercising on a regular basis! I have to say that I have found that I quite like scratchbuilding but I own up to being in denial where track and electric feed problems are concerned.

Well, on a more positive note, here are some photos of the completed kilns and hint of the crusher building that is 75% complete. This latter building is based on the one that stood at Peakdale until demolished in about 1990(ish).  

Incidentally, I couldn't get a suitable quarry face picture so I filled the backscene space by a photo I had taken of the skyline above the Chee Tor No1 Tunnel and photoshopped it a little with rock outcrops, It is now implied that the kiln feeder ramp leads to the quarry face off scene.

Best regards

Nick

post-497-0-26820700-1436357022_thumb.jpg

post-497-0-89146700-1436357025_thumb.jpg

post-497-0-36735600-1436357029.jpg

post-497-0-72103400-1436357034_thumb.jpg

post-497-0-01927400-1436357037.jpg

post-497-0-81851100-1436357041_thumb.jpg

post-497-0-80347400-1436357045.jpg

• Like 13

Guest bri.s

Excellent modelling ,love the buildings they look great and nice bit of greenery at the ends of the sidings

Brian