Ply & MDF cassette bases

Having access to a CNC router I plan to draw up and get cut some MDF and 9mm ply bases for P4 cassettes, these will have the cut outs for Masokits connectors at the ends, I would think I make them in different lenghs say one foot, three and four foot.

I also plan to cut the plastic part that fits in the gap between the track gauge and help with railing.

Would anyone be intested as I could get quite a few out of a 8X4 sheet, I don't really want to go into other gauges or scales.

to make these bases by hand is not a hard job although by defult these will make construcion a bit easier and quicker.

David

• 2 weeks later...

I have now progressed to cutting a few test samples, the bases have been cut from 9mm MDF and are 45mm wide with a recess of 1.7mm deep by 30mm every 300mm to take foam pads on the underside if required.

I have machined 1/8 location holes on the centre line of the MDF base. These holes match with a machined 2mm thick, 18.83mm wide ABS strip that will gauge the aluminium angle using 1/8 drills or rods, once the aluminium is fixed to the MDF the gauge strip is removed to replaced with another machined 1.5 mm ABS strip that uses the same location holes but 17.5mm wide to form a railing strip within the gap between the rails.

I hope to provide with each cassette one MDF base and one 1.5 thick ABS railing stip plus, the 2mm thick 18.83 gauging strip, so far all components will be avalible in 1 foot and 4 foot lengths

David

• RMweb Gold

I have now progressed to cutting a few test samples, the bases have been cut from 9mm MDF and are 45mm wide with a recess of 1.7mm deep by 30mm every 300mm to take foam pads on the underside if required.

I have machined 1/8 location holes on the centre line of the MDF base. These holes match with a machined 2mm thick, 18.83mm wide ABS strip that will gauge the aluminium angle using 1/8 drills or rods, once the aluminium is fixed to the MDF the gauge strip is removed to replaced with another machined 1.5 mm ABS strip that uses the same location holes but 17.5mm wide to form a railing strip within the gap between the rails.

I hope to provide with each cassette one MDF base and one 1.5 thick ABS railing stip plus, the 2mm thick 18.83 gauging strip, so far all components will be avalible in 1 foot and 4 foot lengths

David

No possibility of a 18.2 gauging strip David?

Mike.

No possibility of a 18.2 gauging strip David?

Mike.

Maybe did you want 18.2 or 18.0 also what is the EM back to back?

Currently the MDF bases in P4 will project around .35mm either side of 12.7mm angle if you are happy with bringing the angle in a bit more I dont think it will be a problem, I think OO would be an issue.

I would recomend using Masokits connectors as these are very neat the cut outs on the ends of the MDF are 21.5mm on the left side and 10.5 on the right.

I will try and post some pics

David

• RMweb Gold

Maybe did you want 18.2 or 18.0 also what is the EM back to back?

Currently the MDF bases in P4 will project around .35mm either side of 12.7mm angle if you are happy with bringing the angle in a bit more I dont think it will be a problem, I think OO would be an issue.

I would recomend using Masokits connectors as these are very neat the cut outs on the ends of the MDF are 21.5mm on the left side and 10.5 on the right.

I will try and post some pics

David

EM b-b is 16.5, don't know how that ties in with your plans, pics would be good to make sure we're not embarking on a wild goose chase, I think I know what you mean!

Mike.

I took some photos last night but could not find the lead for my camera to upload them; I will try at the weekend again by which time I may have more bits.

The location holes are now 3mm instead of 1/8 although this is not really an issue.

Once I have built the first batch of P4 cassettes built up I will then progress to the EM ones, If 16.5 is the EM Back to Back I will make the centre strip around 16.3 wide.

I have no idea of the cost as yet as it depends on materials I need to purchase and how much I can pop on a sheet, obviously there will be less 2mm gauging strips needed than the 1.5 railing strips.

So far I have drawn up cassettes at 300mm, 1150mm and 1220mm long, Would there be a demand for other lengths say two or three feet?

David

• 1 month later...

Archived