printrbot

hi group i have recently bought a printrbot 3d printer have any of you used a home 3d printer for model use

how detailed a print did you manage ive read on another forum that a 0.3mm per level resolution is possible with the printrbot is this useful for our hobby or have i just got another nice toy thanks

Hi..

You can try 0.1mm layering but you will need to use a smaller nozzle and 1.75mm filement but this could be a problem with the extruder bolt as the amount of presser will be great.

I have used a 0.15 nozzle with 1.75mm ABS filement @ 0.1mm layer for print some ABS gears, but did take a few hours to print.

3D printing using a reprap is not a good tool to use, you would be better of desgining your stuff and getting to do at shapeways.

Stuart-AU

The home printing machines will go down to about 0.1mm step even with 3mm filament. Beyond that you need to polish or fill. There are some mildly crazy ways of doing that (including airbrushing with acetone in a very well ventilated space).

The real value however (other than the fun of printing useful stuff) is you can feed a home reprap a test design and get a slightly steppy test prototype for fit checks and the like in a few hours, rather than waiting 3 weeks to get it from Shapeways to find out you've made a peg too short.

Hi..

Yes a reprap is a good 3d printer once you spend the time to get it setup correct.

I have 2 a Huxley and a Prusa Mk1 both printer are highly modified from the standard printers. The Huxley is setup to do fine layer work such as gears and windows for buildings. The Prusa is what I use to protype stuff as I have been desgining a small/cheap cnc drill/mill with printed parts.

As for detail model railway stuff it does fall short with quality and as said before great to print some test shots before sending them away to be printed.

Stuart-AU

PS: I have read the Printrbot has a wobble problem with the Z bars, if you can build in a top bar which should help that problem, but all in all a nice printer.

• 6 months later...

It's important not to confuse resolution with detail though.  Just because the motors can move in steps of a few microns doesn't mean much when the width of the nozzle means that the smallest spot or line of plastic that you can lay down is 10 to 100 times bigger.  Some of the FDM producers try to be more than a little misleading by trying to equate positioning resolution with actual resolution of the 'voxels' you print - this is definitely not true.  

In my opinion hobbyist FDM might be a good option for crude shells in O gauge an up, if you don't mind quite a lot of clean up and detailing, but it's not useful for smaller scales (yet).

Not this time its useing the custom jareed 0.2mm tip so very fine detail there is a 0.15mm & 0.1mm tips in development so even finer results could be acheived

on the forum a object has been been printed and also requested from shapeways for comparison shapeways said the object was to fine detailed to print

Hmm, very interesting - thank you for sharing that link.  That's certainly a step forward for FDM compared to what I've seen before.  However, my point still stands.  With a 0.2mm nozzle you can't make a feature smaller than 0.2mm - you might be able to position it more accurately but you can't make it smaller than this.  And in reality, because the plastic 'squadges' outwards the minimum feature size is a bit larger (typically ~50% bigger than the nozzle).  Shapeways FUD or something like a B9 creator can do minimum feature sizes of ~0.05mm to 0.1mm.  

As you say though, that's just where we are right now and FDM is moving on quickly.  We're already in sight of the point where adequate detail can be taken for granted from any of the technologies and the differentiation will be on other parameters such as print time, material cost, material strength and multiple material capabilities.

Exciting times!

Archived