S&D gas tank wagon

Hi all

I know its a long shot, but does anyone have any more information concerning a pair of twin tank midland railway gas wagons used/built for the S&D other than whats in the two midland railway goods stock books penned by R J Essery? There were two vehicles built for the S&Dat an unspecified date to lot544, D837, and appears to have been a batch of two for the S&D, to a design used elsewhere on the midland. The vehicles appear on page 20 and 21 of volume 2, with a good line drawing

Ideally i am looking for photos of them in service, a long shot i know and livery notes if possible. i rather suspect tthey were grey underframes with red oxide tanks on top, and thats how the vehcile i'm making will be portrayed without any informaton to the contrary, going only froma single black and white photo.

Cheers all

Mark

It could be, but there would have abeen a number of tank wagons in the area, i'm looking for a specific diagram, twin tank, wooden underfame, like i say its a long shot!

It could well be that wag, but then again there were mayother similar vehicle built by the LMS, but it is likely the wagons stayed on patch.

I know the photographs of the wagon buta m having difficulty finding any of them, so any nudges in the direction would be helpful

Its a long shot i know, but if you dont ask!

Mark

Excellent chris thank you very much indeed. Do you happen to know when it was scrapped?

For such a rare vehicle its amazing itwas photographed. We are building one in 5 inch gauge atm, just starting on the tanks, along side a midland railway motor car van

I look forward to seeing more info.

Thanks again

Mark

A summary of the info which I have been sent so far - to be honest, probably all that I will get!

The 'ex-works' picture at http://t.co/6VnRURs4 is dated August 1904 and apparently shows painting date 23.2.03.

There are two pix which I have uploaded at http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee224/railwest/SDJR/wGAS_Colt_025SD_RWG_zpsfaee01fe.jpg

and

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee224/railwest/SDJR/wGAS_Colt_024SD_RWG_zpsac06213d.jpg

which were taken at Highbridge in 1929.

Apparently there are published pictures as follows:-

1. Brian MacDermott "Modellers' Guide to the S&D" page 38.

2. Ivo Peters "S&D in the Fifties" Vol 1 plate 43

3. Ivo Peters "S&D in the Fifties" Vol 2 plate 14

4 Ivo Peters "S&D - English Cross Country Railway" plate 1. (a distant view at the rear of a train at Bath GP, so probably not much help for detail.

I'm merely passing on the info which I have been sent, so regret that I can't provide any further details.

Chris

• 4 years later...

Bringing this back from the mists of time rather than starting a new topic.

Just purchased the SEF kit and was wondering what livery they carried in BR days. Also, where were they refilled? Would it be at the local gas company, in which case the ones at BGP only made very short journeys. And how were they moved about? Would they be attached to a goods train going to that particular place, or in a pick-up goods?

The pictures in Ivo Peters books are not much help. 

Bringing this back from the mists of time rather than starting a new topic.

Just purchased the SEF kit and was wondering what livery they carried in BR days. Also, where were they refilled? Would it be at the local gas company, in which case the ones at BGP only made very short journeys. And how were they moved about? Would they be attached to a goods train going to that particular place, or in a pick-up goods?

The pictures in Ivo Peters books are not much help. 

The gas used for carriage lighting was not the normal town gas, being an oil based one, such as Pinsch Gas.  Most railway companies had a small gas works to create the gas, by heating the base product, and the equipment required was quite compact. I seem to recall seeing photos of the small S&DJR gas works.  I know Swindon had their own, on a rather larger scale, along with their town gas works supplying the works and company estate.

As for livery, are you asking which livery the SEF wagon should have, believed to be ex-M&GNR, or assuming it is an ex-S&DJR one? Either way, it unlikely that they would have survived into BR days as the majority of coach lighting would have been electrical by then, although there were small pockets of gas lit coaches on branch lines, and most kitchen and restaurant carriages required gas for cooking.  But neither of these two joint lines owned such fancy vehicles, so I suspect they would have been long gone. I would imagine that any of this type that were around would have been a combination of rust and black paint, which was a favourite to put on metal surfaces.

Due to the nature of the contents, there were specific rules regarding the type of goods train they could be attached to, and I suspect that a pick-up goods would not be the transport of choice.

Either way, it unlikely that they would have survived into BR days as the majority of coach lighting would have been electrical by then, although there were small pockets of gas lit coaches on branch lines, and most kitchen and restaurant carriages required gas for cooking.  But neither of these two joint lines owned such fancy vehicles, so I suspect they would have been long gone.

One was kept at BGP until at least the mid 1950s to replenish restaurant cars an through trains.

• RMweb Gold

The gas used for carriage lighting was not the normal town gas, being an oil based one, such as Pinsch Gas.  Most railway companies had a small gas works to create the gas, by heating the base product, and the equipment required was quite compact. I seem to recall seeing photos of the small S&DJR gas works.  

I took this photo of the Highbridge SDJR gasworks building in the late 1960s after the line had closed. The gasholder had gone much earlier I believe.

There are a couple of nice shots of the newly-built works in Colin Maggs' Highbridge in its heyday, which also has the official ex-works shot of No.2. The book's sketch map of Templecombe Loco. Department, to use the name on the plan, shows that it had a gas works as well.

post-14351-0-32731900-1489008934_thumb.jpg

Archived