Bankhall Warehouses

riddler

Hi guys

This is not strictly a railway question, but the 1st picture below is a picture on the Liverpool to Leeds canal. I think this would be a good thing to model in N gauge. The archway has been bricked in on the warehouse, it used to be open which allowed barges to load up completely undercover, you also had the wooden covered canopy were barges used to moor to load/unload/

The 2nd picture is the same warehouse from the road

The bridge over the canal is a road bridge. What I thought would be good scene is to replace the road with a railway siding.

What I would like to know is what would these warehouses manufacture, or contain ready to be shipped off by barge or by road

lp142.jpg

bankshallwarehouse2.jpg

regards

riddler

Yep, that is a mistake.

I had been searching flour mills, and one came up in Birkenhead. Also been looking at Banks Hall Shed, so clearly got confused with the various areas.

Unfortunately I cannot edit, or wont let me edit title now as I presume because it has had a reply

regards

riddler

Although the Merseyside-based members of the board will probably check this thread out anyway, I'd suggest that you edit the title to remove the "Birkenhead", which is a bit misleading and might put off some people who are more focused on the Liverpool side of the water.

I take it that these are the buildings on Bankhall Street, just down from the station? The main building fronting onto Bankhall Street is shown on the 1907 OS map, without any indication as to its purpose, but the shed along the canal bank is not. That area is shown as mainly open (with the legend "wharf") with a couple of cranes shown by the canal and a travelling crane running more-or-less parallel to the canal and separated from it by a long shed of some sort which sits in the middle of the plot (all this is much harder to describe than just putting a picture in, but I think there'd be some copyright issue about just photographing the map and attaching it here - sorry). It appears on the "Kirkdale 1906" map in the Godfrey series of reprints.

There is a book on the history of the canal in Liverpool. I can't remember the title, but they definitely have a copy in Crosby library.

Jim

<EDIT> Oooh! Beaten to the punch! Should have checked back before posting

Jim

</EDIT>

Just did a quick check: there are (predictably, really) dozens of books on the Leeds & Liverpool - the Sefton Libraries catalogue lists 61 titles, although quite a few are guides for modern-day canal-cruising folk. The one I was thinking of is "Liverpool & Its Canal", by Mike Clarke: I don't know if this is the best book on the subject, but it's the one I borrowed a while back and enjoyed. Sefton Libraries list 35 copies of this title, which tells you something about the local history market in these parts.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Jim

I have tried to edit the title without no luck. I am guessing that because there is a reply to the post I am unable to edit it now :O(

Thanks for the info though

riddler

Edit the post and then select "use full editor" - hth

HI RIDDLER

I purchased the book that Jim mentions for my late father a few years back. Ive had a quick look through it tonight and found the following information..

Bank Hall Bridge was rebuilt by Robert Dagleish of St Helens.

A new warehouse was erected by The Canal Company in 1874 at Bank Hall, boats entering this via a short arm so they could be loaded under cover. The cranes used for lifting goods here were operated by a small steam engine located next door. It was built by R. and J. Rankin Co. with a 9in diameter piston and 16in stroke operating 60lbs/sq in with steam from a Lancashire boiler 14ft long by 4ft 6in diameter. By 1891 this had been replaced by hydaulic power.

If you travel under Bank Hall Road bridge an Oil and Chemical Works operated. This was replaced at some point by railway sidings which took delivery of coal. The goods wagons would tip their load of coal into waiting canal barges and take the coal to either Bootle Gas Works or Tate and Lyle.( photo in book )

On your photo you can see a wooden canopy..to the left of this was several arms off the canal which were used as dry docks for repairing the barges. John Parkes and Sons converted these arms for the repair of their coal carrying barges. ( photo in book )

What was the warehouse used for? Sadly... I cannot find any information regarding your question! lol

In the surrounding area at the time of the warehouse being built, many timber/coal yards and tobacco companys operated. This does not mean the warehouse was used for any of them but covered storage would indicate wood?

This book is very intersting and has many fascinating photos in it of old Liverpool.

I hope it helps your project!

Regards Steve

Steve

Thank you very much for your time in replying in detail to my question.

It seems that the pictures I have added could well make an interesting part to a layout. Barges being used to deliver wood from the warehouse in question. Coal going down stream in Barges.

regards

riddler

Archived