Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Things to come

• RMweb Premium

Today I was in one of my nearby shops which sell a lot of continental locos. One I was looking at had sound and a smoke/steam unit, nothing strange there but to top it off it had drain cocks that blew steam out, the detail was superb and it cost around £280 all in HO gauge

• RMweb Premium

Today I was in one of my nearby shops which sell a lot of continental locos. One I was looking at had sound and a smoke/steam unit, nothing strange there but to top it off it had drain cocks that blew steam out, the detail was superb and it cost around £280 all in HO gauge

That sounds like a very nice model for those that can afford it. The spec is high and it's natural to wonder if such things could become mainstream over here. At the present time, given the economic climate, the major manufacturers of OO seem to have paused in their quest for ever-increasing detail. Having had 12 years of unprecedented advances, we seem to have levelled off. I suspect the proportion of RTR sound-equipped locos will remain the same in the immediate future, and smoke-fitted locos don't seem on the horizon (as standard ready-to-run).

Until the economy improves, and people have a bit more disposable income, I can't see Bachmann or Hornby pushing the limits much beyond what we have now. Of course, if you have lots of money to spend, customised or limited-run specialities are already available.

Still, you can't complain about choice - so long as the majority of stock is affordable to the majority of modellers.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Interesting - I was given a pretty comprehensive demo of Lionheart Trains' new 2-6-2T at Swindon at the weekend and the most irritating thing about the sounds (which were very good) was that nothing happened as you heard them; draincocks opened, but no steam and so on although the firebox glow was rather clever and wasn't steady as coal was shovelled in.

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

oh, but people do. They are called "wish lists" and "moans about the price of RTR items".

Jol

Yes Jol, I agree with you. The ironic thing is that, by almost every measure, we've never had such an abundance of riches as we have now. In real terms, accounting for wages and inflation, the superb RTR items available are better value than they've ever been. In absolute terms, of course, the price continues to rise and that will always prompt complaints.

If every possible loco but one were available there'd still be wish-lists and moans about when 99xxx or J12345 was going to be released!!

Jeff

There are different ways of spending the same money though. Is it better to have one superb loco or three unexceptional ones? Does your layout really need 15 engines or could you manage with five? All a question of priorities.

Jeff,

oh, but people do. They are called "wish lists" and "moans about the price of RTR items".

Jol

Jol is right. It's a line of discussion in the hobby that I never feel comfortable with and don't really want to be part of.

I probably could afford some of the RTR locos and stock and I do occasionaly get one but they are not my "wish list". I always re-number and detail them. Just acquiring sounds a bit like "retail therapy". The buzz only lasts a short time and then you have to buy another one.

Jack

...Still, you can't complain about choice ...

Better than that, a range of choice in a commodity from basic and cheap to fully featured and more expensive is an indicator of a healthy market catering for a range of tastes and pockets. I'll always be the guy who goes for the lower cost option of using my imaginination to paint in the smoke and vapour and the various sounds, but whatever floats any given individual's boat...

Archived