Irritating Adverts!

DonB

I wonder if I am alone in finding the newly posted advert by Winrail annoying?

The flashing / switching between windows is distracting to say the least,

Who checks the artwork before publication? TRAIL version?

I assume it's to allow modelling of a Sustrans route on a former rail line!

• RMweb Gold

Not seen it yet. Sounds like it should be confined to AdBlocker and never seen again.

I wish someone did a KentonBlocker sometimes ...

Adverts fund sites such as this, if the advertisers thought that no-one would see their ads, they would stop using this as a medium to promote themselves, the revenue would then cease and WE would have to pay / pay more. I find it a simple case of ignoring them if they don't have anything to interest me - whilst understanding why they need to be here.

• RMweb Premium

I've finally found the "irritating advert" in question. Took me several sections before I stumbled upon it.

If the ad only appears at the head of the "Layouts" forum, there is a very easy solution if you want to ignore it - scroll the damn thing off the top of the screen. As the meerkats would say..."simples".

I find a number of the ads on this site intrusive, but as Beast points out, they pay for much of the site's upkeep. And some of the ads are useful. Have to hand it to Winrail - the ad does catch your attention!

Jeff

I wish someone did a KentonBlocker sometimes ...

Your wish has been granted - IPB, who coudn't be bothered to use valuable programming time to fix the broken bits, somehow managed to find time to include such an option. It is in your settings as "'Ignore' Preferences".

Please feel free to use it then not only will you be saved from choosing to read my posts but all of us will be free from seeing your personal attacks, as by not reading my posts you will not have subject matter to reply to in the way you do.

Personally I do not use the option as despite your comments you do occasionally post something of interest.

Just like all content filtering it is far too clumsy. Adblock is selective and is easily tailored to irritating adverts and those adverts for things that never interest, allowing the adverts of selected suppliers. Also good at knocking out those big banners in signatures or dancing avatars.

• RMweb Gold

Your wish has been granted - IPB, who coudn't be bothered to use valuable programming time to fix the broken bits, somehow managed to find time to include such an option. It is in your settings as "'Ignore' Preferences".

Please feel free to use it then not only will you be saved from choosing to read my posts but all of us will be free from seeing your personal attacks, as by not reading my posts you will not have subject matter to reply to in the way you do.

Personally I do not use the option as despite your comments you do occasionally post something of interest.

Just like all content filtering it is far too clumsy. Adblock is selective and is easily tailored to irritating adverts and those adverts for things that never interest, allowing the adverts of selected suppliers. Also good at knocking out those big banners in signatures or dancing avatars.

Kenton - I have an easier way - stop posting your moaning about adverts and NO-ONE will have to read it.

Even in your reply you make sweeping generalisations about IPB, you have NO idea what they do or don't do with their time or how much effort goes into whatever they do choose to do but you feel the need to offer yet another of your "valuable" opinions on the matter. Perhaps you should write your own software, it will be perfect and do anything anyone wants, merely by thought control.

You haven't seen me get personal, I doubt I would last long if I did.

Kenton - I have an easier way - stop posting your moaning about adverts and NO-ONE will have to read it.

Not my OP. I was not "moaning" about adverts. I simply offered a solution to the OP's complaint. That offered solution appeared to get your goat and you responded with a personal attack.

Only in response to that did I extend the usefulness to a more general "moan" about other irritating images.

• RMweb Gold
Even in your reply you make sweeping generalisations about IPB, you have NO idea what they do or don't do with their time or how much effort goes into whatever they do choose to do

Hi beast,

I did actually purchase my own copy of the IPB software from IPS just to see what it was like. I found it to be an unbelievably awful tangled mess, quite unusable, at least by me. I have since binned it. You don't want to know what Jim at Data 1 Systems thinks of it.

However, we are where we are. With massive server resources now in the sledgehammer-nut category, RMweb is running quite well. There is nothing to be gained by Kenton's habit of inserting a dig at IPS into almost any topic.

regards,

Martin.

There is nothing to be gained by Kenton's habit of inserting a dig at IPS into almost any topic.

Or track rubbers. ;)

It can get quite wearing to me too but I understand the perspective on IPS. At the time of the change (a fraction under 3 years ago) no one was offering the software that had the capabilities I wanted to see used (and few still do). The previous software (phpBB) which we used for 4 years have moved on comparatively little since leaving it. That software created as much havoc on the server as IPS has. If there were any viable alternatives which gave further advancement with the ability to effectively migrate content (whilst being more friendly to resources) I'd be happy to look at it.

However, we are where we are. With massive server resources now in the sledgehammer-nut category, RMweb is running quite well. There is nothing to be gained by Kenton's habit of inserting a dig at IPS into almost any topic.

Martin, that is a fair crack over my head - perhaps my continued gripe with IPB and what continues to me to be a very irritating issue with this forum preventing me from using it to its full (which is why I keep on about it) should not have been raised. But the argument would never have arisen had not my first post been attacked. My first post in this topic was a simple one line response - hopefully helpful. It did not warrant the response it received from beast66606, and had not that response been posted none of the subsequent posts would have been made by me. Including diverging into matters of software, IPB and track rubbers!

• RMweb Gold
If there were any viable alternatives which gave further advancement with the ability to effectively migrate content (whilst being more friendly to resources) I'd be happy to look at it.

Hi Andy,

At present the only real alternative to IPB if you want blogs, gallery, etc.,is vBulletin. However, since Jelsoft sold out to Internet Brands, vBulletin is being mainly developed as an advertising vehicle -- which was entirely predictable given Internet Brands focus on media advertising: http://www.internetbrands.com . The business model is that you use the registered members of a forum as unpaid content creators, which then attracts unregistered visitors who see a storm of advertising in between the topics. Registered members don't see the ads. I think Kenton would explode if RMweb looked like this: http://www.powerstroke.org

The smart money seems to be on xenForo, although it still has some way to go to match the two leaders in add-ons: http://xenforo.com Making up their minds between xenForo and XenForo would be a start.

edit: Now might not be the time to jump ship. There is an ongoing legal row between XenForo and vBulletin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XenForo

regards,

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

Kenton - you choose to open Pandoras box and then complain when you don't like the smell

Perhaps you could explain why you felt the need to comment on something when (and I quote YOU) "Not seen it yet"

So when is SpecialK Board 1.0 being released ?

Perhaps you could explain why you felt the need to comment on something when (and I quote YOU) "Not seen it yet"

A fair question and might have been better than your first post in this topic.

The answer is that I was indicating:

- that not everyone might be able to see the advert (subject of OP) In fact I still haven't seen it.

- despite not having seen it the Adblock solution is a general solution to all such adverts, but you need to see it to block it

- and yes I should have qualified it to say Adblock is only available (AFAIK) to Firefox users.

though that might have taken longer to type and exceeded one line.

:whistle: :mosking: I love all this handbags at dawn stuff, keep it going lads it makes an interesting read :mail: :sungum: .

If only it did... however the way the thread has been treated by the admin/mod team implicitly suggests that Warners support personalised attacks, whether you agree or not, it will not have gone unnoticed... dilbert

Archived