Pushing boundaries

How fine can you print in FUD? Well here's the answer! A one piece underframe for a Gloucsester RCW 1912 wagon underframe in 2mm scale printed by shapeways, with full brake detail.

There is a QC issue on one end of the model where there is massive stepping but I don't think it will affect the actual underframe too much.

The floor is 0.2mm thick, so no surprises it ripped on one of them. (This is less tha nshapeways' minimum wall thickness so there was no guarantee it would even print)

post-15796-0-89888200-1348141407_thumb.jpg

Now I have the forbidding task of fitting bearings and wheelsets!

Does it work :jester:

They are cool, but why make the floor so thin?

Purely to find out if they'd print it and what it would look like if they did! It's not recommended for real walls, but for use as a casting master in a coach window for example it has a place.

The brake gear isn't much thicker so I need to get a body glued on top so I have something to handle whilst fitting the wheels!

Very nice. I thought it was lens distortion in the first photo but it also appears in the second photo: is the chassis warped lengthways, as if to imitate a sag in an ageing under frame, or is it not as noticeable with the naked eye?

It seems to compare well with the etched version.

Very nice. I thought it was lens distortion in the first photo but it also appears in the second photo: is the chassis warped lengthways, as if to imitate a sag in an ageing under frame, or is it not as noticeable with the naked eye?

It seems to compare well with the etched version.

Yes it's bowed on both prints, unfortunately nothing I can do about it due to the flexibility of the floor. Revised STL file has thicker floor with crossmembers and longitudinal baulks, THAT won't buckle!

Richard - why the difference between the solebar height and the headstock depth?

It's entirely due to the poor construction of the body, if I could get the etched chassis out of the other one the printed chassis would sit just fine in that one!

I'm about to make an etched version of this underframe as well to see if I can get the same level of detail. I'm hopeful that I can given the excellent quality of the etches I received for the locos.

As much as I like the 3D prints, they are really fragile - the pictured one already has lost the brake handle and a couple of brake shoes!

Archived