Berkeley Road station

Dale

Hi,

Does any one have any digitised reference material for Berkeley Road or Berkeley station on the Sharpness Branch Line in Gloucestershire they can forward to me? I am looking for photographs, track layouts, train timetables or any suggestions for books to search out that will give me some info about this site in the 50's.

Many thanks.

D.

The Junction (ie Berkeley Road)

Almost - it's "An historical survey of the Midland in Gloucestershire" by Peter Smith - available seconhand on Amazon

Also try Birmingham Bristol - portrait of a famous route part 2 - Mourton & Pixton

Berkelely was on the Severn & Wye - and is presumably covered in one of the mighty Severn & Wye Railway Tomes by Messrs Pope How & Karau

Also maps - old-maps.co.uk

Open to correction but I do not think the Wild Swan series on the Severn & Wye has got round to covering that part of it apart from a mention in the general historical introduction. I think OPC did one of their 'An historical survey of....' books that covered it which they seemed to bring out on any line that Wild Swan had a book on. Obvious suggestion to Google it.

David.

I think this is An Historical Survey of the Forest of Dean Railways Peter Smith / OPC

NB The OPC Historical Survey / Layouts and Illustrations series is essentially a series of track plans / often signalling diagrams / 3 or 4 photographs per station -often early 1960s - brief notes on the station - and the odd building drawing. They're not fully fledged histories as done by Wild Swan.

With regard to WSP Severn & Wye - I only have vols 1 & 2 which doesn't include the Sharpness Branch. I had also looked at a map which wrongly showed the S & W as being all the way to Berkeley Road when the Sharpness side was Midland - so this may be outside the scope of the WSP series - sorry.

Thanks for the advice lad's. I have just ordered the Historical Survey so fingers crossed

I grew up in Berkeley and used to play on the Sharpness line when i was a nipper.

Dale.

Probably not a great deal of help as not much of the station area can be seen, but here's a couple of shots taken on the 21st July 1963. BR Standard 3MT 82036 was working the RCTS "Gloucestershire Railtour" having taken over the train at Avonmouth and working bunkerfirst to Berkeley Road, where it ran round the train to trundle down the branch to Sharpness. The shots might raise a whiff of nostalgia, if nothing else!

post-384-0-85417200-1348778631_thumb.jpg

post-384-0-18776300-1348778659_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Geoff

Archived