RMweb

Waverley Route new image links and discussion

'CHARD

Guest Max Stafford

It begs the question; what other items of on track plant and equipment saw use on the Waverley? I'm becoming increasingly fascinated by this type of machinery, particularly the early stuff.

Dave.

I ought to expand more on this Hallade question. A small article in Modern Railways dated July 1970 was titled "Waverley route reopening"

As you can see from the snippet attached a Hallade Track Recording car is mentioned. There was a pretty active group of enthusiasts in the Hawick (I'd left the town in 1969) and none of them ever "clocked" this, or index heard of this visit. The lad who had "tipped me the wink" about the 1st April 1970 visit certainly didn't get in touch with me about this.

I'd wondered if, given the above trip in April and the magazine appearing in July, perhaps this recording car was the coach that the type 2 pulled.

Bruce

post-5524-0-11454100-1334136600.jpg

I'd wondered if, given the above trip in April and the magazine appearing in July, perhaps this recording car was the coach that the type 2 pulled.

Bruce

The photos supplied in response to Bernard's query elsewhere show the NEPTUNE as I remember it, altough I had forgotten about the fore and aft trolleys. Further rattling of old p.way cages confirms my belief that the saloons never ran with geometry recording equiment, so I'm convinced that the "recording car" referred to by Modern Railways was the ScR's NEPTUNE. As an aside, the car was still to be found at Rutherglen when I last visited in the mid- nineties, but heavily vandalised and verging on the derelict. A sad end for such an interesting vehicle.

Dave: unfortunately you're about ten years too late to take a tour of the former CCE workshops at Kilmarnock. Oh the dinosaur carcases that were to be seen there!

• Like 1

How did it escape the eagle-eyed and owl-eared enthusiasts at Hawick? Did it, indeed could it, have run through to Longtown, as implied by "run over the rationalised route"?

How did it escape the eagle-eyed and owl-eared enthusiasts at Hawick? Did it, indeed could it, have run through to Longtown, as implied by "run over the rationalised route"?

If it did indeed run, as is starting to seem likely rather than possibly, then there were good reasons why it would have run as far south as Longtown.

There is the BR possible reopening idea, or even ideas, as it appears to have cropped up on more than one occassion, that has been mentioned and at least one other scheme that has been hinted at. Various letters by David Steel contain all sorts of odd questions. Some are based on published information while others throw up even more unanswered questions.

Bernard

Presumably the closed line was under engineering possession by that time? If so, a transit by a track machine wouldn't have needed much in the way of notice or paperwork. A recording run would've been a quick and relatively cheap way of ascertaining the geometrical condition of the remaining single line, and establishing what fettling work would be required to return it to traffic carrying condition eg. lifting and packing or tamping to remove twist faults. This though would indicate only short term aspirations: if BR had been serious about reactivation for diversionary purposes in the longer term, they would surely have looked at some major realignment of that remaining single track, easing curves using the wide double track formation sudddenly available, as well as some significant relaying with more modern materials.

My own personal view was that it never got off the drawing board because of a) the relatively low overall linespeed and heavy gradients, B) the condition and maintenance liability of the jointed, wooden sleepered track (much of which had been cascaded once already) and c) the Sou' West offered a far better diversion to Glasgow.

Answer: keep the GWSR route open, relay large chunks of it and resignal Annan, Killie, Barrhead etc. No brainer as they say.

• Like 1

My own personal view was that it never got off the drawing board because of a) the relatively low overall linespeed and heavy gradients, B) the condition and maintenance liability of the jointed, wooden sleepered track (much of which had been cascaded once already) and c) the Sou' West offered a far better diversion to Glasgow.

Remind me of this point on Sept 1st and we can discuss it.

I can assure you it will be very interesting.

Bernard

• Like 2

There was a Model Railways magazine a loooong time ago which, if i remember correctly, featured a number of scratch built P Way vehicles. Think there was one on the cover, so would make it a relatively easy issue to find, if you know anyone/anywhere with back numbers. I would guess early 70s.

Cheers,

26power

It begs the question; what other items of on track plant and equipment saw use on the Waverley? I'm becoming increasingly fascinated by this type of machinery, particularly the early stuff.

Dave.

There was a Model Railways magazine a loooong time ago which, if i remember correctly, featured a number of scratch built P Way vehicles. Think there was one on the cover, so would make it a relatively easy issue to find, if you know anyone/anywhere with back numbers. I would guess early 70s.

Cheers,

26power

I'm pretty certain that this survived the mouse attacks at my parents, and is currently in the attic here- there was a selection of scratch-built stock, including a ballast cleaner and various tampers. IIRC (I'll check later), the models were from someone at a club in the Medway area.

( I have found the mags; the one with the cover is October 1972, but the article is in the November 1972 edition. The NEPTUNE is not illustrated, but is referred to in the text; machines illustrated include one of the early Matissa tamper/liners with the 'bogies' fore and aft, and another sort of tamper, which looks like one of the machines used for point and crossing works. The article is by someone called Dave Lakin, associated with Preston Model Railway Club. Curiously, after all these very detailed models of the track machines, he seems to have been content to bodge a Dogfish on a Hornby 'Blue' Grain underframe.)

Edited by Fat Controller

Guest Max Stafford

Oh Bob it is, but it's still a bit classified at the moment. Enjoy the anticipation! Bernard, Mac's one of ours, don't worry.

Dave.

• Like 1

Steady as we go boys and girls, everyone's on the same side on this page. There's a fair amount of stuff going on in the engine room at the moment is all, bear with us and as things can be divulged without compromise, they will be. Privately I think we are all known to one another through - what do the social media gurus call it? - a couple of degrees of separation. I'm acutely conscious that I'm only scratching the surface of what's going on, and when it comes to matters WR I'm having to counsel myself to be patient!

• Like 2

You've got me guessing now, Bob! My antennae have been focused on the forthcoming books which are scheduled to go ping in a similar timescale, there are the developments up on the hill like you say, and BAM Nuttall will be publishing timescales for the Borders Railway project, so it's a busy year on practically every front! :mail:

• Like 1

I wish I knew what your going on about both of you as it seems quite interesting - whatever it is!

Sorry to cause confusion Bob.

Newcastleton P.Way raised some points, and my reply was that I could provide more material re these points after Sept 1st.

This was in reference to the book by David Spaven that will be released at the end of August.

I am priveleged to have read the chapter in the book that covers these points. I have provided David with some information regarding certain points in this chapter. Reading the draft was an aid to knowing what further research was required. I have since read the revised draft. If the material in the book answers the questions then every one should be happy. If more details are asked for during discussions, then there is unpublished material that might answer these points. If any one has a secret agenda then there is going to be a reluctance on my behalf to publish any material that I have obtained, particularly on the forum. I cannot comment on how others would regard the use of their material in the light of the recent outburst. I don't take too kindly to vague comments about what I know and what I think I know.

Sorry for the rant.

Bernard

There are times when material comes to light that raises more questions than it answers. If this letter had been written in 1969 or even 1970 it would make sense.

So what influenced David Steel to raise the points again at this late date?

The Waverley route would not just simply fade away.

Bernard

post-149-0-03950200-1334757768_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

The second clip is absolutely stunning. If only we could have had sound as well and heard the V2 working as hard as it clearly was. Never mind, we can still certainly imagine the noise it was making!

The camera is so well positioned and keeps the train in shot for so long too...just brilliant.

The make up of the train is a treasure trove too. You get to see the whole train in pretty good detail, LMS style brake behind the loco, Ex SR vans, sheeted wagons, a few 16 tonners, a couple or tanks.

I could watch it again and again...

Roy

• Like 1

. You get to see the whole train in pretty good detail, LMS style brake behind the loco, Ex SR vans, sheeted wagons, a few 16 tonners, a couple or tanks.

It's an interesting formation for the student of these things, though no doubt unexceptional at the time. There's the usual brakevan front and rear, a short fitted head (and with just one shanghai'd Conflat betwixt the first two minerals - possibly with its vac brake out of commission, or they just couldnt be bothered to shunt it out given the minimal difference it would make), then at the back there are two more fitted vans probably serving as barriers for the tanks.

The train in the first clip (which I think is the celebrated visit of the Patriot in 1965?) also contains a rarity, an ex-GW 'Mica', clearly visible in white as the train's movement puts the camera into the 'going away' position.

• Like 1