Waverley Route new image links and discussion

'CHARD

Oh no. Our man really did just say 'two type 4s in charge.'

I've got to sit on DMUs to Peterborough and back today - three hours of my life I won't get back - but you can bet what music will be playing in my head!

Sulzer Beats!

(PS - anyone else intrigued by what else lurks in Bruce's "File Under X" ?)

Apologies in advance for the watermarks on the images ...but have we seen these before?

From http://www.colour-railprint.com/userimages/procart6.htm and I think I might be ordering a copy of the whole lot! There are plenty more, including some lovely shots at St Margarets and at Waverley, with a fantastic shot of Prince Palatine that I'll let someone else link to should they wish.

GWSCOT0059R.JPG

45235 passing Riccarton Junction with a freight.

GWSCOT0060R.JPG

60846 passing Riccarton Junction with a Waverley line freight

GWSCOT0061R.JPG

61029 " CHAMOIS " passing Riccarton Junction with a freight on the Waverley route

GWSCOT0063R.JPG

76049 stops on a local Waverley route train at Riccarton Junction

• Like 2

They're not my captions (before anyone asks!) ... and I noticed the odd error.

Looks like 45235 is south of and on the approach to Riccarton, with the rear of the train crossing Riccarton Culvert and the second (60846) may be the one that Roy P originally posted up with the query over the Border Counties?

Looks like 45235 is south of and on the approach to Riccarton, with the rear of the train crossing Riccarton Culvert and the second (60846) may be the one that Roy P originally posted up with the query over the Border Counties?

Not guilty.

Roy

You're not kidding about the captions on that website! One of the pictures supposed to be taken at St.Margaret's isn't even in Scotland.

• Like 1

Matt, no early night needed, there was indeed a question a few months ago about why a V2 was on the Counties line, either that or my memory is going too...................

Colin

It was a discussion in which I was involved concerning 'Presflo' traffic, I became involved in it but didn't initiate it. I think it might have been Bernard Lamb or David Spaven.

Roy

One I have just come across that I do not recall having seen before - A photo in Kidderminster Railway Museum's unidentified archive, someone has put the location as being Shankend, I would have said Steele Road during the last winter with the yard pulled up (looks like Steele Roads platform shelter on the up side) but don't have conclusive evidence to contact the museum and advise them as such.....

http://www.krm.org.uk/mystery.htm

The photo is on the left 6 images down the page - there is no way of linking to it directly I am afraid.

Any thoughts on the location gents?

Personally I would have said it's just about possible to discern a large Britannia type firebox below the running plate but I certainly wouldn't want to discount the possibility of it being a 9F on the basis of a photograph which, how can I put it, falls some way short of Bruce's usual standard.

Bruce, are you absolutely sure about the train being an ECS? - there are a quite a number of documented occasions up until mid 1967 when Britannias substituted for failed diesels on the 09.20, 13.00 and 19.44 departures from Carlisle (not to mention the final appearance of 70022 Tornado on the 19.44 in November 1967 although it's obviously not then).

Bill

Bill, my mind was dottled thinking it was an 8F. However, the Brit (or whatever) was certainly on an ECS working. However this is the one I ought to have out up. Obviously a freight and for once, I've a date, 6 January 1967. Is this an 8F? I can't quite make out the number in the photo I took at the water column at Hawick.

This is the last of my X-files for a while!

Bruce.

[for the record, the grub screws keeping the lens holder in place had worked loose. With, say, f22, - eg http://www.railbrit....te.php?id=29747 - photos were perfectly in focus unlike this one shot on a murky afternoon and other X-file ones.]

post-5524-0-82814800-1347390122_thumb.jpg

Is this an 8F? I can't quite make out the number in the photo I took at the water column at Hawick.

From the apparent height of the footplate, that looks like a Stanier 5. Could you put up the other picture you refer to - the one at the column at Hawick? I presume that would be a closer view and the footplate would be clearer.

• RMweb Gold

It might have been Bruce then, I can't fully recall!

The image I was thinking of is actually this one, but although a similar angle it's neither the same line, place at the junction or even loco or vehicle consist!

http://www.railbrit....ge.php?id=36030

No clue who but I was a little confused over this one.

It is a V2 on the BCR stub.

Now its either recessed or kicking a hot box off would be the explanations I could come up with?

Mac.

Guest Max Stafford

"Another from the X-files, 'Chard!"

A bit of detective work brings forth the following, Bruce!

Looks like 44804, in which case definitely a Black Five though strangely, a Trafford Park allocation at the time.

Dave.

Edited by Max Stafford

"Another from the X-files, 'Chard!"

A bit of detective work brings forth the following, Bruce!

Looks like 44804, in which case definitely a Black Five though strangely, a Trafford Park allocation at the time.

Dave.

From notes given to me by Ian Bell it will be 44824 which was noted running light at Hawick on 6/1/67. According to the BR Database site that was a Holbeck loco at the time.

Bill

Edited by Bill Jamieson
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...