RMweb

Waverley Route new image links and discussion

'CHARD

So is that then probable that 'British Railways' could be the legend on the tender?

I have no knowledge of this engines livery code (s), other than black Tim.

At that time Fountainhall would still of had columns or she could be pulled up to raise steam.

I no know............

Mac.

Yes, several of the ex-O7 Austerities had British Railways in the tender, whilst sporting their 63xxx or E3xxx numbers - photos in the relevant Yeadon. There are no pictures in there of ex-O7s numbered in the 90xxx series with British Railways on the tender, but that doesn't necessarily mean there weren't any (likewise for any non-O7 Austerities.

What is "Kenneth Gray's list" please? (apologies if the answer lies further back in this thread - it's very long to look through!)

Sorry for assuming that everyone knew, but Kenneth is a well known (at least to some on this forum) railway enthusiast who was brought up in Hawick, the son of a railwayman. He was a keen observer of events on the WR through the fifties and sixties, albeit for the last ten years or so of the lines existence he worked away from the town but still visited regularly (as he does to this day). In recent years he has kept lists (which I think may have been started by members of the Hawick Model Railway Club - Bruce, can you confirm?) and I quote from the introduction from the one for steam locos (there's also one for diesels):-

"STEAM LOCOMOTIVES KNOWN TO HAVE WORKED INTO OR THROUGH HAWICK"

"This list has been compiled from the knowledge, records and recollections of local enthusiasts augmented by information derived from various published sources most notably the RCTS Locomotives of the L.N.E.R. and Yeadon's Register of L.N.E.R. Locomotives."

Bill

Edited by Bill Jamieson

Yes, several of the ex-O7 Austerities had British Railways in the tender, whilst sporting their 63xxx or E3xxx numbers - photos in the relevant Yeadon. There are no pictures in there of ex-O7s numbered in the 90xxx series with British Railways on the tender, but that doesn't necessarily mean there weren't any (likewise for any non-O7 Austerities.

Getting a bit off topic, but likewise in John Hooper's fairly recent book "The WD Austerity 2-8-0". Mind you more often than not the locos are so filthy it's impossible to tell what is adorning the tender. It all hinges on when exactly the cycling lion emblem was introduced - it was certainly in use by August 1949 but some O7s were being renumbered into the 90xxx series as early as March of that year. As this renumbering wasn't completed until 1951 it looks as if it was only done at works visits when a new cast front numberplate could be fitted.

Bill

Edited by Bill Jamieson

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCOTLAND-RAILWAY-STATIONS-HAWICK-1963-/251117509480?pt=UK_Collectables_Postcards_MJ&hash=item3a77c51b68

That looks to me like Salmon Trout, taken from the four-foot of the down line.  Not seen this before.

Nor this record shot of Melrose: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MELROSE-STATION-Roxburghshire-Scotland-/200859475880?pt=UK_Collectables_Railwayana_RL&hash=item2ec4285fa8

Edited by 'CHARD

A nice shot taken from the Northumbrian Railways website http://www.railways.whblakey.co.uk/index.php?page=riccarton-junction

riccarton-jcn%2002.jpg

Riccarton photographed from a departing northbound train on 12/01/1963. This was some 48 hours after a cutting to the north of the station had been cleared of the snow which had closed the Waverley Line for over a week. Photo Brian Johnson

• Like 3

Matt, that's a good source - have we seen this WD before?

I think we may have done - definitely the Flickr one if not both.

There are several new images available on there, which I've only just discovered. I ordered several of the Waverley Route shots as 6"x8" a few months ago - great quality photos.

I also let John Chalcraft (the chap that runs Rail Photoprints) know that his caption for http://railphotoprints.zenfolio.com/p692212777/h2b1890c5#h2b1890c5 was incorrect but it still hasn't been rectified!

Edited by 37175

Is this one of the fabled petrochem trains, at last....

http://railphotoprints.zenfolio.com/p748395313/hafb7840#hafb7840

60976 six days before I was born, and the same day as the Patriot working of legend:

http://railphotoprints.zenfolio.com/p748395313/h3fc7de4#h3fc7de4

Edited by 'CHARD

Guest Max Stafford

That one's from 1953 and a print graces 'the doghouse' here! I'm not sure if it's a 'regular' service or a special. The make up looks like Class A tanks and I wonder if it's aviation fuel; the RAF and FAA still had a lot of airfields dotted around the country in those days and it's possible this is something run in connection.

Dave. 

Edited by Max Stafford
  • Like 1

One for Bruce- Carlisle Canal's J39 0-6-0 64895 at Langholm with the 9.12 to Riddings Junction, 27/8/60.

p1075347132-2.jpg

From http://railphotoprints.zenfolio.com/p748395313/h40187ebc#h40187ebc

Thanks Matt.

I think there must have been a stake in the yard at Langholm which said "Photographers, stand here", however Robin broke the mould with this one.

post-5524-0-51888800-1357118600_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 3

Don't know if this has ever been covered on here before, but does anyone have a photo of a BR Standard 3 (77xxx) on the Waverley? I've seen photos of the NER based locos on the Borders Counties (did 77011 traverse the route on the last day?), but never seen any of north of Riccarton.

I always thought they were good looking locos and regret none survived, plus a previous generation of my family had experience driving the ScR examples out of 67B Hurlford.....

Don't know if this has ever been covered on here before, but does anyone have a photo of a BR Standard 3 (77xxx) on the Waverley? I've seen photos of the NER based locos on the Borders Counties (did 77011 traverse the route on the last day?), but never seen any of north of Riccarton.

I always thought they were good looking locos and regret none survived, plus a previous generation of my family had experience driving the ScR examples out of 67B Hurlford.....

I'm sure I've seen reports of them toward the end, probably on the 'Skud', though I have to say I never saw one, which is probably why I remember it. That's not to say there weren't photos however.

Roy

Guest Max Stafford

76049 & 50 worked 'the Skud on a number of occasions in 1964-5 when 80113 was unavailable. It's entirely possible that a 'wee three' worked up to Hawick pre '56 over the BCR but I've yet to see any evidence supporting this. The nearest I've seen to our manor apart from this was on a demolition train at the eastern end of the Tweed Valley in early '66, presumably operating from 52D. Can't remember the loco number but the photo was by Mo Burns.

But if you're building a replica, it's no big deal, just choose the next number in series and stick 64G on the front. I'll give you a hand to knock it up!

• Like 2

Guest Max Stafford

BTW, if you can get hold of an ex-Barry '76er that's not been rebuilt, just bang a new cab and boiler on. Job done!

76049 & 50 worked 'the Skud on a number of occasions in 1964-5 when 80113 was unavailable. It's entirely possible that a 'wee three' worked up to Hawick pre '56 over the BCR but I've yet to see any evidence supporting this. The nearest I've seen to our manor apart from this was on a demolition train at the eastern end of the Tweed Valley in early '66, presumably operating from 52D. Can't remember the loco number but the photo was by Mo Burns.

But if you're building a replica, it's no big deal, just choose the next number in series and stick 64G on the front. I'll give you a hand to knock it up!

Kenneth Gray lists 77011 and 77014 as having reached Hawick, presumably over the Border Counties (both had spells at Blaydon). The Tweedmouth 77xxx would be either 77002 or 77004 which were the regulars at Duns in 1965/66 until the end of steam at 52D in June of the latter year.

Bill

77011 & 77014 are both on Kenneth Gray's list of locos to have worked into/through Hawick, and 77011 is listed elsewhere as having worked the morning Hawick-Newcastle on several occasions in early 1956.

The Border Counties line into Newcastle saw a variety of locomotives from various sheds on its trains. The 13.10 arrival into Newcastle was no exception to this and I am listing a selection of these taken from early 1956 -

Hawick – Newcastle arr 13.10

28.01.56 76047 52C

25.02.56 61991 64A

28.02.56 62709 64B Berwickshire

29.02.56 77011 52C

01.03.56 62709 64B Berwickshire

03.03.56 76047 52C

05.03.56 76046 52C

06.03.56 77011 52C

07.03.56 62743 64B The Cleveland

08.03.56 77011 52C

09.03.56 62705 64B Lanarkshire